This event has passed
This event has passed.
Please see our full programme of upcoming events.
The Future for Town Centres: Death or Evolution?
Monday 10 September 2012, 9:30am
Offices have polarised into the larger/mega centres and the only solution so far for unwanted space has been to create residential dormitory areas with associated increased commuting. The paradigm of the town centre as a multi-activity hub appears to be under threat.
These changes are not consistent with the desire for sustainable communities and self-sufficiency of local areas based on thriving diverse economies, social inter-actions and reduction of environmental impacts.
This one day inter-active conference brings together a range of policy makers, investors and developers and local commercial and other stakeholders to explore these emerging key questions:
• Where is property demand going to come from?
• What IS the role of the town centre? Economic or civic or social?
• Beyond food and drink- will creative industries be the way forward?
• How should we fund less successful centres?
• Stimulating developer activity: what should planners do?
• What is the role of local businesses?
• Community/civic engagement - will it work?
The day is structured around key speaker presentations, participant workshops and a final panel session.
Confirmed Speakers include:
• Jon Rouse, Chief Executive Croydon Borough Council
• Joanna Rowelle, Assistant Director Capital Projects & Design from the GLA
• Gordon Reid, Association of Town Centre Management, South East
• Rob Harris & Sandra Jones, Ramidus
• Professor Laura Vaughan, UCL
• Alex Philips Development Executive Cathedral Developments
• Ros Morgan, Chief Executive Kingston First
• Dr. Noha Nasser, University of Greenwich and independent consultant
• Sunita Bali from Experian
• Daniel Morgan, British Retail Consortium
• Jane Harrison from London Councils
• Stephen Alambritis, Leader of Merton Council
Date: Monday 10th September 2012, 9.30am - 5.30pm
Location: C-SCAIPE, Kingston University, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2EE
For more information and to book a place on the course please visit the website.
For any other enquiries please contact Keren Seymour firstname.lastname@example.org