Halls of residence
Here at Kingston we are very proud of our halls of residence. We offer a range of high-quality halls, all located close to the University's campuses.
What's on offer in halls?
If you live in a hall of residence at Kingston, you will have a single room in a flat shared with other students. You will share the kitchen with between two and nine other students. (The iQ Wave halls of residence also has a small number of studios available with their own kitchen and shower facilities).
Living in halls of residence is a great way to get to know other people and can be lots of fun. To enhance your student experience, you will normally share a mixed gender flat with other students from different backgrounds and courses.
- All our halls are self catering with shared kitchens and on-site launderettes. Students in 70% of our rooms enjoy en-suite facilities.
- Your room is furnished, although you will have to bring your own bedding, towels and cooking utensils/equipment. All our rooms have internet access and are non-smoking.
- We have a range of accommodation especially for students with disabilities. If you need adapted accommodation, get in touch with our Disability Team in the Student Life Centre for more information.
- Our halls have 24-hour cover with staff on hand to help with any problems.
- You do not have to vacate your room during the Christmas or Easter holidays.
- A free intersite bus service runs between our halls of residence and the campuses, as well as Kingston and Surbiton stations (except Kingston Bridge House and iQ Wave, which are a short walk from the Penrhyn Road campus).
- Permits for limited car parking are available at our hall sites (except iQ Wave where there is no parking due to its central location). There are also secure bicycle racks and/or sheds.
What else do I need to know?
Our halls are grouped into price bands. These fees are inclusive of heating, lighting and hot water. We will offer you a halls place in the band of your choice, wherever possible.
Licences are usually for a 40-week period. Please note that certain courses differ in length and therefore you may be offered a different licence duration. Postgraduate students will be offered a 40-week licence with the opportunity to extend to 50 weeks.
When choosing your accommodation preferences, you will need to know your study site. If you are unsure of your study site, please refer to the relevant course page on our website.
Find out more
You can also take a look at the welcome to halls event that took place in September 2012:
Features of our halls
- Single-study bedrooms arranged in flats
- Internet access in all rooms
- All halls are self catering and non-smoking
- On-site launderette facilities
- Parking for cars/bicycles at hall sites
- On-site management and 24-hour security
- Adapted accommodation for students with disabilities
- Designated flats for postgraduate and mature students
- Free bus service between halls and campuses (except Kingston Bridge House and iQ Wave, which are a short walk from Penrhyn Road)
- Member of UUK Code of Practice