Search our site
Search our site
Everything that you need to know now that you've confirmed your place

International students

As an international student, there's a lot more to think about in the run up to your move to the UK. We have lots of guidance on what to pack, what to expect when you arrive and a special International Arrivals and Orientation programme.

Welcome, orientation and enrolment

We realise that arriving in a new country and meeting new people can be stressful, as well as exciting. To help you make friends, settle in and feel at home, we organise a comprehensive International Arrivals and Orientation programme.

Most importantly you need to arrive in time for international enrolment. This is when you officially register with the university, get your student card and are allowed access to all University facilities and services. It's very important that you arrive in time to enrol.

See what to expect

Before you leave home

If you're an international student, it is important to think about issues such as immigration and passport control before you leave home. You can access some guidance below but please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration website for full details.

  • What do I need to do about immigration?
    If you want to come to the UK as a 'student', you need to apply for entry clearance before you leave your home country to travel to the UK. Read more.
    Remember that you also need to log into our online student information system (OSIS) to update your details, upload a copy of your passport and request a CAS. This will enable us to confirm your fee status and send you a draft CAS (if needed). Read more.
  • What can I do to prepare for life in the UK?
    Visit for information about preparing for life in the UK – this interactive toolkit is designed to help you learn all about the UK, British culture and what to expect when you get here.
    Plus watch our video on adjusting to learning and what to expect in the UK:

  • What do I need to remember when packing?
    When packing your luggage, remember that the UK climate is very changeable. If you are packing for a whole year's stay you will need a good range of both warm and cool clothing. University halls of residence are fully furnished, but you will also need to bring some bedding and kitchen essentials with you or buy them when you get here. Read more.
  • How much cash will I need on arrival?
    You will need some sterling cash for expenses during the first week – about £250 should be enough. We do not recommend bringing or carrying larger amounts of cash with you. Read more.
  • Will I be able to work alongside my studies while I am in the UK?
    Students who are non-EEA nationals should check the immigration stamp in their passport. You need to see what conditions the UK immigration authorities have imposed on you about employment. Read more.
  • What about healthcare in the UK?
    The Fairhill Medical Practice (our on-site health centre) provides a range of healthcare services for students during term-time and at local branch surgeries during vacations. This is run by the National Health Service (NHS). If you are a full-time international student and are here for six months or longer, your visa application will have included an 'immigration health surcharge', which means that you will be entitled to NHS for the length of your visa. Therefore it is not necessary to get private medical insurance for the duration of your studies here.
    Watch our informative video about everything you need to know about healthcare in the UK:

At the airport

  • What happens at Passport Control?
    There will be different queues for EEA and non-EEA nationals at Passport Control. You will need to have a number of different documents available to show the Immigration Officer. Read more.
  • What happens at Customs?
    There are three channels at Customs – Green (for persons with 'Nothing to Declare'); Red (for persons with 'Goods to Declare'); and Blue (for persons travelling from an EEA country where all their luggage has already been cleared by Customs). Read more.
  • Do I need to register with the police?
    A small number of international students need to register with the police within seventeen days of arriving in the UK. The stamp put into your passport by the immigration authorities will tell you if you need to register with the UK Police. Read more.
  • How do I get to the University?
    International students can use our airport pick-up service, which ensures you are met at the airport when you arrive and taken to your accommodation in the local area. Read more.

Contact us

Kingston University
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 9000

Contact us

Kingston University
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 9000

Don't forget to book...

  • Airport pick-up – we provide an airport pick-up service to welcome you to the UK
  • International orientation – designed to help you make friends and provide important information about your new home

Preparing for study

To make sure you're ready for your studies in the UK, we offer an English language development programme – free English language courses throughout the academic year to help you start your studies with confidence.

Like our Facebook page

Getting ready
Site menu