Search our site
Search our site

What next?

Before you start

There are things you'll need to do to make sure you have your place secured and are ready to start this September.

Student finance

  • If you're eligible for financial support, make sure you've contacted your funding authority (eg if you live in England, this will be Student Finance England) to apply for a tuition fee loan, maintenance loan, and any other support that you may be eligible for. Make sure that, if you're applying for a tuition and/or maintenance loan, you've completed the declaration form and returned it. No declaration means no money! Find out more about fees and funding.
  • International students need to pay 50% of their tuition fees on or before enrolment.
  • If a sponsor is paying your fees, send any sponsor letters or purchase orders from sponsors to Credit Control prior to enrolment if possible, quoting your Kingston University ID number.

Extra support

Compact Scheme logo

The Compact Scheme aims to support the transition and success of students from a variety of backgrounds. It provides access to a Kingston University bursary of £2,000 for Compact Scheme students who meet additional criteria. The Compact Scheme includes a free pre-enrolment summer school, inclusive welcome events and on course life and study skills sessions, as well as a single point of contact from application through to graduation.

To find out if you are eligible to join the Compact Scheme, please read the eligibility criteria. You will need to apply before midday on Friday 28 July 2017 when applications close.

KU Cares logo

KU Cares is a support package for care leavers, care experienced students, those who are irreconcilably estranged from their family and young adult carers. The support includes advocacy and pastoral support through a designated member of staff, a service which can be accessed from application stage, for the duration of your course through to post-graduation.  Under KU Cares you will have access to the KU Cares bursary of £1,500 per academic year (conditions apply); be given priority for University-managed accommodation and paid employment opportunities; and be given help to develop your CV. If you think that you are eligible for KU Cares please email us.

Disability support

Students with a disability (such as a learning difference/mental health difficulty/long term health condition/any other disability) can apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). Most home-fee paying students are eligible to apply. Our disability advisers are able to provide you with guidance and information on applying for DSA.

Getting DSA, does not affect your student loan, is not repayable or income-tested, and could provide the following support for your studies.

  • A laptop/PC
  • Printer/scanner
  • Specialist software
  • Tutoring/mentoring
  • Digital recorder
  • Equipment and software training
  • Small budget to reclaim photocopying/printing costs

Find out more information on the Disabled Students' Allowance. You will need to submit medical evidence of your condition(s) when applying for this support. If you are an overseas student you are unlikely to be able to apply, so please call us to seek guidance on funding for support.

Please be aware you will be asked to make a £200 contribution to any DSA equipment used, though you can be reimbursed for this if you enrol as a student at Kingston. Please discuss this with the disability team when you start in September.

If you are not eligible for DSA, please contact us to find out about other funding that may be available to you. 


  • Decide where you want to live – if you're planning to move into new accommodation, take a look at our halls of residence, and the range of options available in the private sector.

Qualifications and exam results

  • If your offer is conditional on exam results, we'll need to receive these to confirm your offer as unconditional (this secures your place). If your qualifications aren't sent to us by UCAS, please send your results to as soon as you have them.


  • If you're an international student, don't forget to book your free airport pick up.


You'll need to complete the following steps of your enrolment before starting.

  • Enrolment Stage 1 (ES1) you will receive an email with a link to complete your online enrolment.
  • Fee status – so that we can assess you and charge you the right amount for your course, you'll need to complete the 'Your Fee Status' task and upload a copy of your valid passport on OSIS. Have a look at the fee status frequently asked questions for further details. 
  • Upload a photo – upload a colour photo for your ID card using your OSIS account.

If you're an international student coming to study in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa then, you'll need to do the following as part of the application process:

  • Pay your Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) – the IHS is a compulsory requirement and you need to do it as part of the Tier 4 (General) visa application process. 
  • Collect your British Residence Permit (BRP) – once you've arrived in the UK you will need to collect your BRP prior to enrolment.

When you start

  • Enrolment Stage 2 (ES2) – at the start of term in September, you'll then complete Enrolment Stage 2 (ES2), which is your face-to-face enrolment.
  • We will be contacting you with information about your enrolment time and date in August, so ensure your contact details are up-to-date on OSIS (if your contact email address is a college email address, this may deactivate over summer).
  • You'll need to have noted down your Kingston student ID number, the full name of your course, your OSIS username and OSIS password. You must also bring original proof of identity:
  • UK or EU nationals:
    • You must bring your valid UK or EU passport or EU ID card (if you don't have a valid UK passport, you must bring both your UK birth certificate and a form of photo ID).
  • Non-UK/EU nationals:
    • You must provide the original valid passport that you may have uploaded to OSIS earlier (if the Home Office is holding this, an official Home Office letter may be acceptable instead).
    • If you are an international student, make sure you also bring payment in cleared funds, or evidence (if possible) of prior payment of 50% of your tuition fees.
    • If you are an international student, you will also need to bring your visa, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), and your original qualification documents (including any necessary English language qualifications) you were required to have for your course offer).

Looking ahead

As the start of term approaches, there are some things you'll need to start to think about.


Here are our top tips for moving into student accommodation:

  • Booking fee – if you decide to book a room in halls, you'll need to pay a booking fee of £300 to secure your room.
  • Moving-in – if you have a place in halls, we'll be contacting you before the start of term, so keep an eye on your emails. International students are able to move in at the beginning of the International Arrivals and Orientation week.
  • What to bring – make sure you know what to bring. Some things are already provided in our halls.
  • What can you cook – check out the Student Recipes website for ideas and cooking tips.
  • Budgeting – consider your budget and put together a weekly/monthly budget plan. You might want to look on websites like Student Money Saver or Money Saving Expert for more tips!
  • Let people know – inform your GP practice, friends and family of your new address. You might also need to let your bank, DVLA and HMRC know.
  • Facebook – join the relevant Facebook group for your halls; this will be a great way to meet the people you'll be living with before you move in!
  • Halls' Welcome and Induction – be sure to attend events which are organised when you move into halls, and meet your Halls Connectors!
  • Halls' licence – take time to read through your halls' licence terms and conditions carefully; once you have a booked a room this is sent through to you via email.


Budgeting as a student can take some getting used to – buying food, paying bills and spending on socialising can all add up, so it's worth starting to think about your finances now.

  • Budgeting – how will you budget? Do you need to start saving now? Have you applied for the finance you're entitled to? What will you do if your loan arrives late? Have you got access to some funding to cover emergencies? Check out our section on planning a budget. The NUS website also has useful tips and a budget calculator.
  • Working – will you need to get a part time job while you are at Kingston? Our careers service, KU Talent, can help you find work as a student with us.


Make sure you know your route to campus and what your alternative options are if your normal route is disrupted.

  • Check out our journey planner to see the routes open to you when travelling by public transport, bike, car or foot.
  • Keep updated with journey alerts from Transport for London and the AA. Remember, public transport in London is now contactless.

Union of Kingston Students sports clubs and societies

During Welcome Week you'll find out more about student life and the range of options and support available. You might want to start thinking about which sports clubs and societies you might want to join.

  • Sports clubs – joining a sports club is a great way to meet new people, as well as being part of something you feel passionate about. To find out more about which sports are available, visit the Union of Kingston Students website.
  • Fitness Centre – located at our Penrhyn Road campus, the More Energy Fitness Centre has a large gym and a range of classes available.
  • Societies – we're proud to offer Kingston students a choice of over 100 societies. From anime to cake making, entrepreneurship to pharmacy, and street theatre to wine, there's bound to be something that you'll want to get involved with!  Visit the Union of Kingston Students website for a full list of societies.

Contact us

Kingston University
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 9000

Getting ready
Site menu