Search our site
Search our site

Registering with the police

A small number of international students are required by the British government to register with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) within seven days of arrival in the UK. The stamp or the visa sticker in your passport will state if you need to register with the police.

Do I need to register with the police?

You are only required to register with the police if you are from one of the following countries and have received an endorsement on your visa (found on a stamp or sticker in your passport) instructing you to register: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia (including Chechnya), Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen. If you are uncertain whether you need to register, please ask a member of staff when you arrive.

For the September intake, we provide a service helping students required to register with the police to arrange to collect their registration certificate.  This will involve us sending copies of students' documents to the OVRO so that they can prepare the Police Registration Certificates for collection. Once these  are ready, we will inform students and,  at this point, we will be able to confirm whether or not a member of the International Student Advisory Centre (ISAC) staff will be available to accompany the group.

Students using this service will be exempt from the seven day rule (please see first paragraph), and will simply need to wait for us to inform them when their certificate is ready to collect.

If you have an endorsement on your passport to register with the OVRO, and you choose to do this independently, you must do this within seven days of your arrival in the UK.

You will need to go in person to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) during office hours, and take the following documents with you:

  • the completed Overseas Visitors Records Office Registration Proforma (fill it in online and print it);
  • one passport-sized photograph (the photograph must be in colour, measuring 45mm x 35mm and attached to the completed Proforma using glue, not staples);
  • your passport; and
  • your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP/Visa Card).

You will also need to take the £34 fee, which can be paid in cash (pounds sterling), sterling travellers' cheques or most debit or credit cards (excluding American Express).

When you arrive at the OVRO, you will either be permitted entry and will receive your certificate on the same day, or you will be given an admission slip informing you to return on the date and time stated on the slip. If you are given an admission slip, you will only be permitted to enter the OVRO on production of this slip and the correct documents.

Please note: all students registering with the police will pass through a security check on arrival at the OVRO. You must not carry any sharp objects and you should bring only essential items with you.

What happens once I have registered with the police?

Once you have registered with the police you will get a Police Registration Certificate. You should keep this in a safe place with your passport.

Each time you are granted an extension of stay in the United Kingdom or you renew your passport you must inform the Overseas Visitors Records Office.

You must also notify the police every time you change your address. You can do this at your local police station.

If you have any enquiries, please email the International Student Advisory Centre.

IMPORTANT: Please be aware that once you start the registration process with the University, you will not then be permitted to register with the OVRO independently.  This process can take up to six weeks so, if you have any urgent travel plans, we advise that you register directly with the OVRO within seven days of your arrival in the UK.

Contact us

Visa and CAS enquiries
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3645

International students
Site menu