Reader and deputy director, Real Estate Research Centre, Kingston University.
Dr Kaluarachchi is a chartered architect, reader and the deputy director of Kingston University's Real Estate Centre within the School of Surveying and Planning. She is an expert in sustainable refurbishment of social housing with a particular emphasis on changing behaviour to enhance low carbon living. Sustainable urban environments and refurbishment are among the topics she is able to discuss, and especially within the context of renewable energy and low carbon behaviour change.
Most recently she has researched stakeholder engagement in sustainable development, focussing on engaging with people aged 65 and over, on the topic of sustainable living. This work was also designed to help address issues such as fuel poverty and climate change in relation to older people.
Dr Kaluarachchi also currently co-ordinates two research groups from Kingston University on the themes of ageing population and urban design with the collaboration of universities from Spain, France, Sweden, Turkey and Lithuania. She lists her research interests as including ageing populations, innovation in social housing, stakeholder engagement, urban design and development in the UK and South Asia, and the refurbishment of social housing,
- 1. Purohit R. & Kaluarachchi Y, Invited paper 'Heritage Discussions - The debate for a common understanding' for publication in 'Understanding Heritage: Paradigms in Heritage Studies' proposed journal by January 2012.
- 2. Kaluarachchi Y. & Eames K., 'Engaging the elderly to promote low carbon behaviour', Submitted April 2011, Focus to be changed and to be submitted December 2011 to International Journal 'Public Understanding of Science', SAGE Publications Ltd. ISSN 0267-3037 (Print), 1466-1810 (Online).
- 3. Purohit R. & Kaluarachchi Y., 'Priorities and Influences in Decision-making in the Built Heritage Practice in UK, September 2011, 10th International Postgraduate Research Conference (IPGRC 2011), School of the Built Environment, University of Salford, UK. ISBN 978-1-907842-17-7.
- 4. Purohit R. & Kaluarachchi Y, 'Priorities and Influences in Decision-making in the Built Heritage Practice in UK" conference proceedings 'Understanding Heritage: Challenges and Perspectives for the 21st Century, June 2011, Cottbuss University, Germany.
- 5. Purohit R. & Kaluarachchi Y, 'Priorities and Influences in Decision-making in the Built Heritage Practice in UK" conference proceedings, ESRC Seminar Series/ARCOM Doctoral Research Workshop, Culture in Construction, April 2011, Loughborough University, UK.
- 6. Kaluarachchi Y. & Eames K., December 2009, A Guide to Sustainable Green Living, Faculty of Art Design & Architecture, Kingston University ISBN 978-0-9554744-6-0.
- 7. Kaluarachchi Y., 'Incorporating Solar Energy into a Sustainable Housing Development Strategy in UK', The Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors 13th Annual Congress 17-18th August 2009, Kuala-Lampur, Malaysia. Internet Publication 'The Institute of Surveyors Malaysia- ISM WiKi http://ismwiki.vms.my/index.php/Incorporating_Solar_Energy_into_a_Sustainable_Housing_
- 8. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K, 'Stakeholder Engagement in Sustainable Housing Refurbishment in UK' SUEMoT Conference 2009, 2nd International Conference on Whole Life Urban Sustainability and its Assessment, April 2009, Loughborough, UK, ISBN 13 978 0 947974 81 7.
- 9. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K., 'Accelerating Innovation in the Social Housing Sector in UK' RICS Conference Proceedings, COBRA 2008, Dublin, 4-5 September 2008, ISBN 978-1-84219-434-8.
- 10. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K., 'Accelerating Innovation in the Built Environment by Research and Education' published in the conference proceedings at CIB W 89 Building Education and Research International Conference, BEAR 2008 in Kandalama, Sri Lanka, 10-15th February 2008, ISBN 978-1-905732-36-4.
- 11. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K, 'Monitoring of a Strategic Partnering Process- the Amphion Experience', October 2007, Construction Management and Economics, Volume 25, Issue 10, 1053 Routledge, ISSN 01446193.
- 12. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K, July 2007, 'Promoting innovative Technologies in the Housing Sector in the UK' published in the Construction Management and Economics 25th Anniversary Conference proceedings, University of Reading, UK.
- 13. Jones K. & Kaluarachchi Y, 'Performance Measurement of a Major Innovation Programme', Jan 2008, Benchmarking- an International Journal, Emerald Group Publishing Ltd., Vol 15, No2 ISSN 1463-5771.
- 14. Jones K. & Kaluarachchi Y, 'Operational factors Affecting Strategic Partnering in UK Social Housing', Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Vol 14, No 4, 2007.
•15. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K, October 2006, 'The Relevance of Innovative Environment Technologies in the Sustainable Refurbishment of the Social Housing Sector in UK', World Conference on Accelerating Excellence in Built Environment Birmingham.
- 16. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K., "A Sustainable Maintenance and Refurbishment strategy for the residential sector in UK" is published in the conference proceedings of the World Congress on Sustainable Housing Design, Naples, Italy September 2006, ISBN 88-6026-030-2.
- 17. Bahaj A.S., Kaluarachchi Y., etal "Sustainable refurbishment: quantifying the impact of façade changes in multi-storey, multi-occupancy buildings" published in the conference proceedings of World Renewable Energy Congress (WREC IX) in Florence, August 2006.
- 18. Chen, Z., Clements-Croome, D.J., Kaluarachchi, Y., Jones, K.G., Hong, Ju. 2005, Façade Choice: a decision-making model for innovation and environmental sustainability in the design and renovation of bldg envelopes. Proceedings of CISBAT 2005. 28-29/09, Lausanne, Switzerland. 13-18.
- 19. Chen Z., Clements-Croome, D.J., Hong, J., Li, H., Kaluarachchi Y., Jones, K.G., James, P.A., Jentsch, M. Bahaj A.S., 2005, A façade case base for teaching and learning intelligent buildings. Proceedings of CISBAT 2005. 28-29/09/2005, Lausanne, Switzerland. 581-584.
- 20. Kaluarachchi Y., Jones K., James P.A.B., Jentsch M.F., Bahaj A.S., Clements-Croome D.J., Gann D.M., June 2005, Building Facades: Sustainability, Maintenance and Refurbishment Proceedings of ICE, Engineering Sustainability, Volume 158, Issue ES2, pp 89-95, ISSN 1478 4637, 2004.
- 21. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K 'Improving the delivery of Social Housing in UK through Strategic Partnering-Using the Amphion initiative as a case study' published in the 11th joint CIB international symposium combining forces- Advancing facilities Management and Construction through Innovation, June 2005, Helsinki Finland. ISSN-0356-9403. ISBN 951-758-455-5.
- 22. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K., September 2004, 'Improving the Delivery of Social Housing in UK- Using the Amphion Initiative as a Case Study', Proceedings of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management 20th Annual Conference, Herriot Watt University, Edinburgh, Vol. 1, pp25-33, ISBN 0 9534161 9 4.
- 23. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K. June 2004, ''Improving the Delivery of New Social Housing in UK - Using Case Studies from the Amphion Housing Programme, Policy Platform and Innovation Theatre, Chartered Institute of Housing Conference.
- 24. Kaluarachchi Y. & Jones K "Benchmarking Egan Compliance in Social Housing in UK" presented in the Housing Studies Spring Conference "Transforming Social Housing", Sheffield Hallam University, 15/16 April 2004 is published on http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/chp/hsa/spring04/papers.htm.
- 25. Yamuna Kaluarachchi, Continuity & Change in Urban House Forms over Time: Special reference to Colombo, Sri Lanka, February 2000, Conference Proceedings of The Millennium Conference Sri Lanka 2000, published in Book Cities & Sustainability- Sustaining our Cultural Heritage, 2-9/2-16, (ISBN-955-9027-09-3) ed. P. Brandon, P. Lombardi, S. Perera.
- 26. Derek Clements-Croome & Yamuna Kaluarachchi, 2000, Assessment and measurement of productivity, Chapter 10 in Book Creating the Productive Work Place, E & FN Spon/ Routledge, 129-166 (ISBN 0419 236902).
- 27. Derek Clements-Croome & Yamuna Kaluarachchi, August 1999, An Assessment of the Influence of the Indoor Environment on the Productivity of Occupants in Offices, Proceedings of Indoor Air 99, 8th International Conference in Edinburgh, Volume 4, 588-593 (ISBN 1 86081-295 3).
- 28. Yamuna Kaluarachchi, Joe Tah & Rod Howes, June 1999, Affordable Social Housing Provision through Innovative Standardised Systems in UK, in International Journal for Affordable Housing Research (electronic), Issue
- 29. Yamuna Kaluarachchi, Joe Tah & Rod Howes, October 1998, Affordable Intelligent Houses through Standardisation and Modularisation, Poster paper in Proceedings of EIBG Conference; Intelligent Buildings: Realising the Benefits, BRE.
- 30. Derek Clements-Croome & Yamuna Kaluarachchi, October 1998, Assessment of the Influence of Indoor Environment on Job Stress and Productivity of Occupants in Offices, Proceedings of Healthy Buildings/ IAQ'97, Washington D.C., September - October 2, 1997, paper selected for ASHRAE book Design, Construction and Operation of Healthy Buildings (section on Global Issues and Building Investigations), 67-81, October 1998 (ISBN 1 - 883413-66-4) ed. D.J. Moschandreas.
- 31. Yamuna Kaluarachchi, October 1997, Changes in Urban House Forms Over Time- With special reference to Colombo, Sri Lanka, Proceedings of the Commonwealth Institute of Architects CAA-IIA International Conference 'Urbanisation and Housing', in Goa, India, 41-55, ed. Akhtar Chauhan.
- 32. Yamuna Kaluarachchi, March 1995, Transformations of urban house forms in their adaptations to the changing needs of society", proceedings of the Inter Schools conference on Development, 'Educating for real ' in Oxford Brookes University.