If your child is thinking about studying at university, it is important for them to take plenty of time to decide what they would like to study and which university is right for them. You can help by encouraging them to think about:
- what they enjoy and are good at – this is what they'll be happiest and most successful studying;
- the content of the course – this can differ between universities;
- the teaching methods – whether exams, continuous assessment or project work best suit them;
- study choices – if they want to study part-time, on a joint honours course or on a foundation programme, for example; and
- how it will help their future career – look out for workplace skills, work placements or time abroad.
If your son or daughter is not sure which course at Kingston would suit them best, they can chat to us at higher education and UCAS fairs to find out more about our courses.
When they are deciding which university to choose, remind your son or daughter to think about:
- location – do they prefer to be in the city or the countryside?;
- the cost of living – find a location that suits their budget;
- graduate employment figures – find a university with a good track record in your chosen field; and
- student services – a good support structure will make their university experience more enjoyable.
How to find out more
It's a good idea to encourage your son or daughter to attend an open day at any universities they might like to apply for. This will give them a better idea of what it is really like to study there.
At Kingston University, we try to offer lots of opportunities for your son or daughter to get a good idea of what life here is all about.
We hold a series of Pre-Application Open Days each year in June and October. We also run Applicant Days in February and March for students who have received an offer.
What happens at an open day?
The events are designed to give both you and your son or daughter an insight into all areas of the student experience at Kingston. The programme will give you time to:
- attend a session run by a lecturer about the course;
- meet our student ambassadors and spend time with them;
- get to know our campuses;
- talk to our team of experts about the support your child will get while they are here; and
- attend our interactive 'top tips' session, featuring students and their advice on money, accommodation and being a student at Kingston.
Get the most from our open days by:
- planning your day in advance and check where you are supposed to be going (remember we have four campuses!);
- preparing any questions you want to ask and anything particular you want to see; and
- encourage your son or daughter to ask the questions that are important to them – no matter how silly they feel. We've heard it all before, and our students are happy to answer any questions.
Find out more about open days >