"Like for like, this is one of the top programmes in the UK ... it was created and is taught by academics who have worked at leading international business schools as well as top global financial institutions." – Dr Mohammed Nurullah, Course Director
- The programme has a balanced approach between quantitative and qualitative methods, and it provides candidates with the computer and research skills required by employers in this highly competitive sector.
- Graduates from the programme are expected to hold or progress to high ranking positions in banking and other financial services around the globe, work in a related field such as the financial press, work in relevant government bodies or pursue a PhD.
- You will have the opportunity to focus in depth on a specific area and engage in a work related project drawing on case studies and real life scenarios, thus increasing your career choices.
Practical, applicable knowledge
- The programme has been developed with advice from senior banking and finance academics and from managers at a number of banks including: RBS Capital Markets, Commerzbank AG, Standard Chartered Bank and NatWest Bank.
- Modules are designed to develop the skills valued by employers, such as presentation, team-work, problem solving and communication skills.
- Assessment methods mirror real-life practices, e.g. students are required to construct and manage investment portfolios for a specific period and present the results, so that students have opportunities to develop their skills on an ongoing basis.
- The programme is aimed to demonstrate the links between theory and practice. Real life examples and case studies are used extensively during the taught sessions and the assessments also expose students to real life problems and solutions.
- There is a programme of guest lectures from accounting, auditing and financial services sector experts.
- The Faculty runs a ‘Strategy into Practice' series which takes place every Thursday and involves senior representatives from a range of companies attending the University to speak to students.
- You will be able to demonstrate the ability to critically analyse and use relevant information to offer interpretations and solutions to problems.
Excellent, accredited teaching
- Following its last inspection by the Higher Education Funding Council, Kingston Business School was awarded an 'excellent' rating for its teaching quality, one of only a few from 120 UK business schools to receive such recognition.
- We provide you with a supportive study environment and an expert academic team to help you achieve your goals.
- An international curriculum along with School and staff collaborations worldwide ensure the programme is globally relevant.
- The MSc Investment and Financial Risk Management students have the opportunity to use the Bloomberg trading room where different trading techniques can be applied in practice with real live data.
- Students can access the Bloomberg Trading Room and Thomson DataStream Advance. Find out more in the Facilities section.
- Considerable use is made of the University's virtual learning environment (StudySpace) – for example, discussion boards, podcasts and videos. In addition, the Faculty has a number of industry standard financial databases, such as DataStream, FAME, One Banker, Thomson Deals. Read more in the Learning support section.
Excellent London location
- The University's London location provides both a peaceful study setting and easy access to the city centre. The borough of Kingston upon Thames has been rated London's happiest borough, and has the lowest crime rate in London.