Translation Studies MA: Events and lectures
Extra activities for this course
The range of events and lectures in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences enhances your studies and adds an extra perspective to your learning. Activities for this course include:
- English language and communication 'Talking Heads' seminar series, where internationally renowned academics are invited to give a paper about their latest research in English language and linguistics;
- an annual 'Writers in Context' series of readings, lectures and research seminars;
- a series of Culture Cafe student and staff readings at the Rose Theatre, Kingston;
- a series of weekly masterclasses with publishing specialists and professionals;
- weekly guest lectures by leading journalists;
- periodic readings sponsored by the School of Humanities at the Marylebone Oxfam;
- sponsorship of readings and events at the Rhythm and Muse in Teddington;
- sponsorship of readings for Ace Stories in Brighton;
- the Annual Awards and Achievement Show for all undergraduate and postgraduate students in humanities; and
- events conducted as part of the Kingston Writing School.
The literary magazine Ripple is edited by MA students, providing:
- a platform for the publication of creative work; and
- a chance to get hands-on experience of the publishing process.
Our postgraduate creative writing students have also recently launched a new publication called Pages, which is open to submissions from across all disciplines in Kingston University. It includes fiction, poetry, reviews and creative non-fiction. A key feature of Pages is the information for writers on nationwide calls for submissions and competitions.
Creative Writing MA student Alex Hales writes about her experiences at Kingston, "I am so pleased and grateful for the extra-curricular classes that have been available to us.
"I would like to give a special mention to Georgia Fitch, who has pushed the playwriting class towards each writing a play. I never even considered drama as a form before Kingston and with her help have now written a 30 minute play, which really does feel like quite an achievement!
"Clare Allen's prose writing classes have also been fantastic, as have Barrie Keefe's screen writing classes. Not only is Barrie very informative but he has also injected some real optimism and belief into us all, and it's great to have someone who is so enthusiastic about our ideas and writing in such a practical sense.
"So, it feels wonderful to be a part of the Kingston Writer's School and to have all of these things on offer. Keep them coming!"
Related to this course: