Research Support Office
The Research Support Office (RSO) is a central university department.
- supports the development and implementation of the University's research strategy;
- is responsible for co-ordinating the University's submission to the Research Excellence Framework;
- supports the work of the University Research Committee and its sub-committees, including the University Research Ethics Committee; and
- provides support to academics involved in externally funded research.
The RSO works closely with the Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research and Enterprise, Professor Penny Sparke.
Meet the team
Betty Warnock, director of the Research Support Office
- Email Betty or tel +44 (0)20 8417 3046
- Contact Betty if you have high-level queries about the general management and organisation of research or the University's research strategy
- More about Betty's role
- Has overall responsibility for the Research Support Office, including the Graduate Research School.
- Works closely with the PVC for Research and Enterprise and faculty research directors in the development and delivery of the University's research strategy.
- Particular responsibility for co-ordinating the University's submission to the Research Excellence Framework, for QR funding, the annual monitoring of research activity, and for supporting the work of the Research Committee.
Dr Juliet Parry, research grants manager
- Email Juliet or tel +44 (0)20 8417 3151
- Contact Juliet if you have high-level queries about research funding or requests for research funding data
- More about Juliet's role
- Has oversight of the grants team in the Research Support Office.
- Supports research grant applicants through funding body requirements and university procedures.
- Liaises with funding bodies and funding support organisations.
- Provides data and analysis to various internal and external reports and returns, including REF.
- Presents at awaydays and other events.
Phil Lomas, research grants administrator
- Email Phil or tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3173
- Contact Phil if you have a query about research grant applications
- More about Phil's role
- Has particular responsibility for grant applications, supporting applicants through funding body requirements and university procedures.
- Focuses on pre-award activities including costing grant budgets, advising on application procedures and University application protocol.
- Produces grant application and award statistics for university committee reports and presentations.
- Presents at research away days and university research inductions.
Katalin Szerbin, research grants administrator
- Email Katalin or tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3212
- Contact Katalin if you have a query about accepting a research grant or post-award management
- More about Katalin's role
- Advises on research grants from the initial stage to completion.
- Advises and assists faculty finance officers, managers and principal investigators with the preparation of grant reports, including Final Expenditure Statements.
- Provides advice and support on grant management issues, to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of research grants awarded.
- Assists in the development and implementation of new strategic approaches to grants management and systems.
Will Cenci, research support and development officer
- Tel +44 (0)20 8417 3057
- Contact if you have a query about the University's Research Committee, research ethics and integrity, or research communications (including the website)
- More about the role
- Works on various initiatives to help expand and enhance the quality of research activity.
- Supports the activities of the University Research Committee and Faculty Research Directors' Working Group, and contributes to the University's preparations for the REF submission.
- Assists with the annual monitoring of research activity.
- Works closely with Communications to help highlight the breadth and impact of research activity undertaken at the University.
- Particular responsibility for the maintenance and development of the University research webpages and the preparation of the Kingston Research showcase publication.
- Acts as clerk to the University Research Ethics Committee and assists with queries about ethics guidance, procedures and training.
Iain Coleman, impact project manager
- Email Iain or tel: +44 (0) 20 8417 3095
- Contact Iain if you have a query about impact case studies or impact templates for REF 2014
- More about Iain's role
- Provides feedback and advice on impact case studies.
- Provides overall management of the impact project.
- Provides advice and support on the impact requirements of the REF.
- Works with Unit of Assessment co-ordinators to identify and evaluate potential case studies for inclusion in the REF submission.
- Works with Unit of Assessment co-ordinators, Associate Deans for Research and individual researchers on drafting case studies and impact templates.
Kim Forbes, REF administrator
- Email Kim or tel +44 (0)20 8417 3098
- Contact Kim if you have a query about REF 2014 and the monitoring of research activity
- More about Kim's role
- Collates research data via the Annual Monitoring of Research and Research Centres exercise.
- Assists with preparations for and coordination of the University's REF submission.
- Supports the REF Impact Task Group and the REF Steering Group.
- Works closely with Information Services to collate research output data and develop the Kingston University Research Repository.
- Works with IS to develop new systems for research data management.
Gill Thompson, administrative assistant
- Email Gill or tel +44 (0)20 8417 3176
- Contact Gill if you have a general query about research support and administration
- More about Gill's role
- Responsibility for all admin support for the Research Support Office.
- Maintains databases of all research applications and awards, and provides management information.
- Supports the work of the research grants administrators and assists staff with research grant applications.
- Supports the University Research Committee, the Research Ethics Committee and the TRAC Steering Group.
- Responsibility for the RSO StaffSpace area.