The Compact Scheme at Kingston University is there to support undergraduate students throughout their university journey. It is targeted at those with a strong academic background, but who may need some additional support in the transition into higher education.
The Scheme supports undergraduate students applying to Kingston University by offering:
- a single point of contact for information, advice and guidance throughout the application process, enrolment and once you are on course;
- course preparation activities, such as the Head Start Summer School;
- online resources to help you make the right course choice and support you throughout the application process;
- an invitation to our pre-enrolment welcome and induction event for new Compact Scheme students (Fast Forward);
- financial support for 'Home' fee status local authority care leaver students and those placed in foyer accommodation; and
- exclusive access to employability advice and guidance and email alerts to extracurricular employment and/or experience schemes.
In addition to all of the above, Compact Scheme students will be given priority for a scholarship of at least £1,000 (other eligibility criteria apply).
Confirmed care leavers who are assessed as 'Home' students for fee purposes will receive a bursary of £1,500 per year in addition to any other financial entitlement.
Please contact the Compact Scheme office for further details of these possible financial entitlements.
You will have a single point of contact to guide you through the various stages of your Kingston University journey.
"Which course is right for me?"
Head Start Summer School
Fast Forward induction day
Ongoing student support
Money matters and budgeting advice
Study skills workshops
Employability advice sessions
Outduction graduate event
Compact Scheme highlights
Before your journey...
- We provide advice, guidance and online resources to help you make the right course choice and support you throughout the application process.
At the start of your journey...
- We invite you to attend the Head Start Summer School to prepare you for your university journey.
- We offer you an enhanced Fast Forward induction programme.
During your journey...
- You will have access to a team of advisers to ensure your journey through university runs smoothly.
- You will make use of exclusive access to employability advice and guidance to help you secure the career of your choice.
- You will get email alerts to extracurricular employment experience schemes you can apply for, eg become a student ambassador, mentor or student leader.
What our students say...
"I would recommend applying for the Compact Scheme; there's nothing to lose, only a lot to gain! A wide range of support services become available to you, as well as having a single point of contact all year. You get a great early introduction to the University before everyone else, and therefore get to make many new friends before you even start, as well as learning about all the support services available at the University."
Adam, Compact Scheme student
Kingston University was one of the first six higher education institutions to be awarded a quality mark from Buttle UK for our commitment to supporting local authority care leavers and our recognition of the particular challenges faced by looked after young people.