Fast Forward is an induction event exclusively for students who are part of the Compact Scheme, starting their studies in September 2013 at Kingston University.
The event is designed to help Compact Scheme students prepare for life as an undergraduate student through a series of talks and interactive sessions.
It is also a good opportunity to meet other new starters and make some friends before you enrol.
Topics covered at Fast Forward include student funding, time management, study skills and employability. There will be top tips from current students and staff about getting the most out of your studies and student life. The atmosphere is informal with an emphasis on having fun as well as getting valuable advice and guidance to see you through the first few weeks at uni.
When is Fast Forward?
Fast Forward will take place in September 2013, dates will be posted in July 2013.
What is the programme for the day?
The programme for Fast Forward 2013 will be posted nearer the time, here is the programme for Fast Forward 2012, so you know what to expect:
- Programme (PDF)
How much will it cost?
Attendance at Fast Forward is completely free – refreshments, lunch and all materials are provided by us.
Can I attend Fast Forward if I attended Head Start?
Fast Forward is just a one-day event and there will be some content which is similar to the Head Start programme, so you may find that you already know some of the information. However, you are still more than welcome to attend both events if you wish.
Feedback from Fast Forward 2012
Attending Fast Forward will ensure you start your course feeling better prepared and with greater confidence. Don't just take our work for it, this is what some of our attendees of Fast Forward 2012 feel that the event helped them:
- "Explained the types and amount of support available."
- "I feel it was very useful in giving me ideas of what I can get out of uni and where to get help."
- "I am very comfortable now because I know where I can get all the help when I need it."
- "Fast Forward has helped me to be mentally prepared for uni."
- "Met people on my course, made new friends and I know my way around campus now."
- "It's made me less anxious and I am excited about starting."
- "It has given me a lot of confidence."
- "I am confident about starting uni and the help I can receive if needed."
- "I have got answers to my questions, also got some tips about the course."
- " I feel like it's helped me with what to expect from university."
- "I feel more confident and prepared as I know where certain facilities are, and the help I am being offered."
Watch a video of the Fast Forward event in 2010 to see what you can expect:
Watch the Fast Forward UNPLUGGED video – a Student Ambassador perspective of of the Fast Forward event in 2010:
Kingston University was one of the first six higher education institutions to be awarded a quality mark from Buttle UK for our commitment to supporting local authority care leavers and our recognition of the particular challenges faced by looked after young people.