Our links with industry and professional bodies mean that your course reflects up-to-the-minute developments.
We make sure that you gain real experience of working for professional clients. Most surveying students undertake a year's work placement in industry, which contributes towards your professional training period.
Placement destinations have included:
- Franklin and Andrews;
- Grosvenor Plc;
- Jones Lang LaSalle;
- Knight Frank;
- London Borough of Wandsworth;
- Montagu Evans;
- WS Atkins; and
- Lambert Smith Hampton.
You can also gain professional-style experience within the academic curriculum. You might take part in mock hearings and workshops, for example. In the second year you have the chance to go on an overseas residential field trip where you work on a real project. Previous destinations have included Amsterdam, Barcelona and Dublin.
Other examples of our links with industry include:
- a pan-European business challenge – this competition for final-year real estate students involves working with peers from several different EU countries and travelling to places such as Warsaw, Bratislava, Frankfurt, Amsterdam and Groningen.
- private views of new developments in the City of London for first-year students - this is thanks to property management company CBRE. Executives from the company have also talked to students on issues such as letting, rents and services.
Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL)
The award of CETL status has enabled us to develop a Centre for Sustainable Communities Achieved through Integrated Professional Education. You benefit from:
- brilliant facilities, including a specialist learning resources centre and a debating chamber;
- a developing alumni network, leading to improved placement and graduate career opportunities;
- exciting opportunities for real projects and consultancy work;
- links with other schools in the University, giving you an understanding of the role built environment professionals can play in developing sustainable communities; and
- teaching informed by the latest research on sustainability.