The Sociology BSc(Hons) is designed and delivered by research-active lecturers and experienced teachers. We bring the most up-to-date developments in our research areas to the programme.
Sociology staff include:
- Dr Katherine Appleford examines the relationship between style, fashion and class.
- Dr Emma Casey has expertise in gender, domestic economies and forms of consumption.
- Dr Sylvie Collins-Mayo researches sociology of religion, sociology of youth and social research methods.
- Dr Rachael Dobson's research spans critical social policy, welfare practice and relationality, and theories of transgression.
- Dr Luke Doggett's interests revolve around belief, ritual and moral order in social theory. In particular, he is interested in the comparison between archaic and modern beliefs and practices.
- Professor David Herbert has expertise in the sociology of religion and the sociology of health.
- Dr Simon Locke has expertise in social theory, science and technology studies, and comics.
- Professor Nicola Mai is a sociologist, an ethnographer and a filmmaker whose writing and films focus on the experiences and representations of migrants working in the global sex industry in order to live their lives.
- Dr Egle Rindzeviciute's research interests revolve around the sociology of culture, heritage and creative industries, and the sociology of knowledge, with a particular focus on cybernetics and the systems approach and their sociopolitical impact on global governance.
- Dr Heidi Seetzen explores urban deprivation, social and spatial inequalities, and community.
- Dr Sonya Sharma's research interests are in the sociology of religion as it relates to gender, race, family, health and feminism.
- Professor Vron Ware's research interests lie in gender, race, culture, critical whiteness studies, and critical military studies.