8 steps to preparing your UCAS application
For all courses starting in September 2017 (except art and design) the application deadline is 15 January 2017. For art and design courses the deadline is 24 March 2017.
- Step 1: All applications to university are via UCAS, who operate the application process for British universities. To submit your own application, you will need to register on .
- Step 2: The first section will ask you for your personal details. This is also where you can give a parent or guardian nominated access if you'd like them to be able to speak to UCAS on your behalf. If you don't nominate access, no one but you can discuss your application with UCAS at a later date.
- Step 3: You can choose up to five courses to apply for. These can be similar courses at different universities, different courses at one or two universities, it's entirely up to you. You don't need to put them in order of preference and universities will not be able to see which other ones you have applied to.
- Step 4: You will then be asked about your education and employment history. This is where you'll need to add any qualification you already have, any that you are studying for at the moment and also any paid full- or part-time jobs you've had.
- Step 5: Your personal statement is the most important part that will make you stand out from the other people applying for the same course places as you. This is where you should mention your ambitions, what interests you, why you want to study the course/s you've chosen, any extra-curricular activities or voluntary work you're involved in and what your best skills are.
- Step 6: Once your application is complete, make sure you proofread it before submission so that there aren't any spelling or grammar mistakes.
- Step 7: You'll also need a reference, if you're in school or college they will let you know when you need to submit your application by so a teacher has time to go in and write it. If you're applying as an individual you can add the details of the person you want to write your reference and a link will be sent to them to complete it.
- Step 8: The cost to apply to university is £17 for one course or £24 for multiple courses. Good luck!