Search our site
Search our site

Reception, post, telephone, the internet and TV

Halls of residence reception

The reception desk should be your first point of contact for any queries in halls, such as maintenance requests and public transport information.

You can contact the halls management team or the security team 24 hours a day.  During the operational times as displayed at each hall of residence, you can either go to the reception or telephone them, and outside of these times you can contact the security team directly. There is an on-call duty manager who can be contacted for advice by the security team in the event of an emergency. The KUSCO security team are available 24 hours a day across all the University's campuses and halls and undertake periodic patrols of all areas.


Incoming mail should be addressed with the following information:

All post is delivered to your flat's post box, which is located in the reception area. It is essential that all incoming mail includes your room number as part of the address so that it can be posted in the correct post box. Please ensure that the post box is closed properly to avoid theft.

If you are receiving money or valuable documents, including bank cards, please request that they are sent by registered or recorded mail to ensure their safe delivery.

All parcels, registered and recorded mail will need to be collected from the reception desk. Please check the times displayed in each reception for when you are able to collect post, parcels and registered and recorded mail. A list of mail awaiting collection is displayed in reception, which it is your responsibility to check. Please remember that you will need to show your ID card to collect parcels. Post left uncollected for two weeks will be returned to sender. Please be aware that there are no postal or courier deliveries over the weekend or bank holiday periods and if you arrange for a package to be couriered to you, you should ensure that your room number is on the package so that the delivery company can deliver it to you direct.

You must not receive post for any other person at your address. Any non-resident mail will be returned immediately to the sender, without exception.

All outgoing mail can be posted in the local post box (ask your hall receptionist for directions).

If you are lucky enough to receive flowers during your time in halls, we will usually deliver them to your room. However, on Valentine's Day this is not possible so we will pin a flower list on the board along with the parcel list.

When you leave your hall at the end of your licence, any mail received will be returned to sender. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all mail re-directed in good time.


Faxes can be sent and received from reception. There is a charge for sending a fax. Faxes received and awaiting collection will be detailed on the parcel list.


All halls have emergency telephones that will accept incoming calls. We will let you know the telephone number on arrival. You may not accept transfer charge calls – any charge incurred in this way will be deducted from your hall deposit.

You can call the emergency services free of charge by dialling 9 - 999. You can also contact reception in an emergency via these telephones.

Please report any fault to reception. Any vandalism will result in disciplinary action.


All study bedrooms have a networked internet connection. Please note that the connection is for educational purposes only and some ports and services are restricted. Kingston University will support the connection itself, not your own computer.

Television licences

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one. Find out more.

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that's through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post - just choose the one that suits you best. Find out more.

If I live in halls, won't I already be covered by a TV Licence?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they're covered by a halls' licence.

What if I live in a shared house?

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house - this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers

Won't my parents' licence cover me?

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer?

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

 What if I don't need a licence?

If you don't need a TV Licence, we would ask you to let TV Licensing know so that they can update their details. They won't then send you any letters for approximately two years.