Search our site
Search our site

Support for you

Support during your studies

  • Personal tutor – you will be assigned a personal tutor each year to provide one-to-one assistance with your studies.
  • Module leaders and course directors – during their office hours you will be able to drop in to talk to them about your studies.
  • Course administrator –your course administrator will be your first point of contact. They can support you with requests for extensions, mitigating circumstances, or any other non-academic queries.
  • Student office – this will be your first point of contact for most day-to-day queries.
  • Academic mentoring – is a platform for second year students to share their knowledge and experiences with first year students.
  • Maths Aid – this programme consists of one-to-one sessions with trained tutors, peer-assisted learning and virtual learning,
  • Academic Skills Centres – will be able to provide extra help with your assignments.

English language support

Our English language development programme offers free English language courses throughout the academic year. These focus on academic writing, communication and seminar skills, study skills and project work, and revision and exam techniques.

If you are an international student requiring help before you arrive, you can take one of our pre-sessional language courses, which are specifically designed to prepare you for study at Kingston. The courses will not only develop your English language skills, but also give you experience of the methods and study skills used at a British university. The length of the course will depend on your current English language level.

Disability and mental health advisers

The disability and mental health advisers, based in the Student Life Centre, co-ordinate support arrangements and resources to enable students with disabilities to fully benefit from their time at Kingston University. Students with long-term health conditions, mental health conditions, physical or sensory impairments and specific learning differences, such as dyslexia are all entitled to support.

How to get support in place for university:

  • If you have a disability, please send us a medical letter from your doctor clearly stating your diagnosis and its impact on your study. If you don't have this evidence, please ask your doctor to fill out the Disabled Students' Allowances Disability Evidence Form or the Mental Health Evidence Form, which we can also accept.
  • If you have a learning difference such as dyslexia – please send us a copy of your full diagnostic assessment report from a specialist teacher or educational psychologist.
  • If you haven't already done so, we'd encourage you to apply for Disabled Students Allowance. Further details about eligibility and how to apply can be found on our website.
  • If you are an international or EU student and querying support available, please contact the disability and mental health advisers.
  • If you have any other questions relating to your support at University, you can contact us on: Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7314 Email:

Study a foreign language

All students have the opportunity to study a foreign language through the Kingston Language Scheme (KLS). Options currently include: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.

Courses are available at a range of levels to suit your current ability. As a first-year student, you must apply within your first teaching week – from 24 to 28 September. Availability is limited, so it's best to apply as soon as possible.

Study or work abroad

You might want to consider spending some time working or studying abroad as part of your degree.

The Study Abroad programme facilitates study exchanges with our partners around the world whilst the Erasmus programme enables students to study or work abroad in a choice of 31 countries.

Contact us

Kingston School of Art
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 4600
Email us

Contact us

Kingston School of Art
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 4600
Email us

Get a head start

See our student intranet My Kingston How do I access this page? for full information about the support available.

Plus check out our study resources so you know what to expect when you arrive at Kingston: 

How do I access this page? You'll need your new Kingston University username (KU student ID) and password to be able to log onto some of these sites. These are the same ones that we sent you to log into OSIS.

Getting ready
Site menu