Visa, CAS and immigration support

In order to study in the UK you'll need to meet the various visa and immigration conditions outlined by the Home Office. Our team of specialist and experienced international student advisers can help you with guidance on all of these matters.

In this section you will find information on what to do before you start your visa application, how to apply for a visa, what to do when you arrive in the UK and a list of useful links.

Please note: You must ensure that you fully understand and comply with the condition set out in your visa, for example if you are planning to work while you study in the UKBreaching the visa rules could have serious consequences for your immigration status and could affect your right to study in the UK.

Please get in touch if you have any queries or need further support – we are here to help.

Before you apply for a visa

Please read the information on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website before making your visa application.

Check if you need a visa

You may need a visa to study in the UK if you are an international or EU/EEA student coming to Kingston University.

Understand the new rules

On the 1 July 2021, the immigration rules changed for most EU, EEA and Swiss citizens studying in the UK. 

Request your CAS

Before you apply for a visa, you must request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and upload your documents to OSIS. 

Apply for ATAS

If you study a science and engineering course, you may need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

When you arrive in the UK

Collect your BRP

You must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within ten days of arriving in the UK.

Police registration suspended from 1 August 2022

The requirement to register with the police or update your details if you have already registered has been abolished.

Comply with visa requirements

It is essential that you comply with the conditions of your visa. If you have any visa or immigration queries please get in touch.

Working in the UK

Work while you study

There are strict rules in place for students who wish to work while they study. You must follow the conditions set out in your visa.

Work on a course placement

You can choose an optional work placement with some of our postgraduate courses. Find out how the visa rules affect your placement.

Work when you graduate

Some international students are able to apply for a work based visa when they graduate from their course. 

We are here to help

You can speak to our team of friendly and experienced specialist immigration advisers if you have questions about visa requirements and immigration for students – we are here to help.

You can, for example, get advice on how to apply for a visa and find out if you are allowed to work in the UK or travel abroad while you study at Kingston University. 

We offer

  • email and telephone advice;
  • one-to-one appointments*;
  • drop-ins*;
  • visa workshops for enrolled students*.

*As the national Covid-19 situation is evolving, our operations and services may need to change at short notice, which means staff are working remotely.

We are here to help

Contact us

If you have any queries or need further support, please get in touch with the Visa and Immigration Team – we are here to help.