Search our site
Search our site

Registering with the police

A small number of international students are required by the British government to register with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) within seven days of arrival in the UK. The stamp or the visa sticker in your passport will state if you need to register with the police.

Do I need to register with the police?

You are only required to register with the police if you are from one of the following countries and have received an endorsement on your visa (found on a stamp or sticker in your passport) instructing you to register: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen. If you are uncertain whether you need to register, check your passport and the vignette visa which should clearly state if you need to register with the police.

You will need to go in person to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) during office hours, and take the following documents with you:

  • the completed Overseas Visitors Records Office Registration Proforma (fill it in on your computer and then print it);
  • one UK passport-sized photograph (the photograph must be in colour, measuring 45mm x 35mm and attached to the completed Pro forma using glue, not staples);
  • your passport containing your visa vignette;
  • your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP/Visa Card); and
  • £34 registration fee, payable by card or sterling cash.

When you arrive at the OVRO, you will either be permitted entry and will receive your certificate on the same day, or you will be given an admission slip informing you to return on the date and time stated on the slip. If you are given an admission slip, you will only be permitted to enter the OVRO on production of this slip and the correct documents.

Please note: all students registering with the police will pass through a security check on arrival at the OVRO. You must not carry any sharp objects and you should bring only essential items with you.

What happens once I have registered with the police?

Once you have registered with the police you will get a Police Registration Certificate. You should keep this in a safe place with your passport.

Each time you are granted an extension of stay in the United Kingdom or you renew your passport you must inform the Overseas Visitors Records Office.

You must also notify the police every time you change your address. You can do this at your local police station.

Contact us

International enquiries
Tel: +44(0)20 8417 3411