Search our site
Search our site

Working during your studies: guidance for EU, EEA and Swiss students

The deadline for most people to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021 and has now passed.

There will be no change to the working rights and status of EU citizens and their family members who have been granted pre-settled or settled status and are currently living in the UK.

By clicking on this link you can get up-to-date information on residing and working in the UK:

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who were not eligible to apply for EU settlement and who will be coming to study at Kingston University after 1 July 2021 on a student visa on a full-time course at degree level (RQF level 6 (and equivalents)) or above sponsored by a higher education provider with a track record of compliance are permitted to work up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during official vacation periods.

Students undertaking an approved work placement that is an integral and assessed part of their course can work any number of hours on their placement. Students are also permitted to work an additional 20 hours a week in another part-time job.

Students studying in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa on courses of up to 6 months are not permitted to work. Students on a standard visitor visa may volunteer provided it is for a registered charity and is no longer than 30 days in total. Visitors may not undertake voluntary work; you must be clear on the difference between the two.

You can read more information on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website under EU, EEA and Swiss Students.

Contact us

Student Immigration Advisory Service
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7313