Search our site
Search our site

Degree apprenticeships

Train and upskill your employees

Degree apprenticeships, launched in 2015, are a nationally accredited work-based programme where an apprentice combines working in a skilled occupation with undertaking part time university study towards a related degree or masters qualification.

Apprentices are sponsored by their employer and work full time (usually 30 hours a week) whilst studying at university part time (usually attending 1 day a week) to gain a degree qualification.

  • Attract and retain skilled employees: Degree apprenticeships are an effective way to upskill your existing members of staff and could broaden your talent pool of new recruits if offered as part of new employment opportunities
  • Designed by employers for employers: These work-based programmes have been developed to ensure that apprentice employees develop the skills and knowledge that businesses need
  • Value for money: Funding is generated through the apprenticeship levy and allows larger employers to use their contribution to pay for professional training within their organisation
  • Enhance your reputation: Participating in the degree apprenticeship initiative demonstrates your commitment as an employer to offer and invest in the professional development of your workforce
  • Access our portfolio of business services and resources: Benefit from our range of business services from product development to specialist research consultations as well as resources and facilities hire

Why choose Kingston?

  • Kingston University's strong focus on teaching excellence and practical industry-led courses developed in conjunction with industry experts prepare students for their future careers giving us the ideal knowledge and expertise to develop and deliver successful degree apprenticeship programmes.
  • Our dedicated apprenticeships team based in our Research, Business and Innovations (RBI) team means we have staff who have commercial acumen and understand the needs and priorities of employers.
  • We were selected as an education provider selected to take part in a trailblazer group we worked directly with organisations to help identify the skills, knowledge and behaviours under the relevant standards so we have been well placed to fully understand and meet these industry criteria in the development of our degree apprenticeship programme

Funding and levy payments

Since April 2017 all employers with an annual pay bill over £3 million have been required to pay an apprenticeship levy. The levy payments, if made, are used to fund the apprenticeship training in your organisation via registration on the digital apprenticeship online portal.

Smaller, non-levy paying employers are required to contribute 10 per cent of the cost of training an apprentice, and the government will 'co-invest' by paying the remaining 90 per cent..

Employee eligibility

To qualify for a degree apprenticeship an employee is required to be in employed in a relevant job for a minimum of 30 hours per week and will need approval from their employer to enrol onto a course.

Course duration and attendance

The duration of degree apprenticeships at Kingston vary however, most require at least 4 years part-time study, with a 1- day a week study at the University. Employees will study alongside other degree apprentices and full-time undergraduate students.

Courses we offer

Civil Engineering

Building Surveying

Degree apprenticeships in development

  • Construction Management BSc (Hons) 

Contact us

The apprenticeships team would be happy to speak with you about your current situation and offer advice on your requirements and next steps. So, if you require further information or are interested in exploring our degree apprenticeship provider options available for employers, call us, the Degree Apprenticeships Team  on +44 (0) 20 8417 3045, alternatively email us at:  degreeapprenticeships@kingston.ac.uk

More information

If you are an employer and would like to find out more about degree apprenticeships at Kingston University visit degree apprenticeships for employers

Alternatively, you can give the degree apprenticeships team a call on 020 8417 3045

Read more about degree apprenticeships on gov.uk.

Contact us

Research, Business and Innovation Team
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3045
Get in touch

Services for business
Site menu