I am Associate Professor of Architectural Representation in the Department of Architecture and Landscape at the Kingston School of Art. I have degrees in Architecture and Fine Art and am a qualified British architect with more than ten years' experience in architectural practice.
I am an experienced and successful teacher and academic leader: I have taught undergraduate and postgraduate architecture courses for more than 16 years, run BA and Postgraduate architecture courses, and have previously led the Department, and contributed to School and Faculty management. I have extensive course and curriculum development experience, and in my Academic Leadership roles I have proactively supported colleagues in their teaching, academic management and research development.
I am an active academic researcher engaged in critical practice and writing in the field of architectural representation. I have two linked strands of practice-based research: artists' filmmaking as a tool for producing time-based architectural drawings; and cyanotype printing to record light and shadow within architectural space.
Associate Professor of Architectural Representation
Within my research I am developing a hybrid moving image practice - the "architectural moving drawing" - exploiting contemporary digital moving image technology for new transdisciplinary methodologies between architectural representation and artists' film. My resulting experimental film work has been screened internationally.
Parallel research involves analysis of existing works of structural film as spatiotemporal architectural drawing and has been published in several books.
· Southampton Film Week [Screening of "Carriage"]; Southampton, UK; 18 November 2017
· MEM: Experimental Arts International Festival Bilbao [Screening of "Sunhouse Elevation/Sunhouse Azimuth"]; Arkitektura SF 38 Exhibition, Bilbao; 15 November 2017
· San Diego Underground Film Festival [Screening of "Carriage"]; Tenth Avenue Arts Center, San Diego, California, USA; 27 August 2017
· Szczecin European Film Festival [screening of "Parallel Carriage"]; Dom Kultury 13 Muz – The Cultural Institution of the City of Szczecin, Poland; 22 June 2017
· Architecture Film Festival [Screening of "Carriage"]; Bargehouse, Oxo Tower Wharf, South Bank, London; 9 June 2017
· Cinecity 2015 [Screening of "Venice Wall" & "East Croydon Ramp"]; Loop, Melbourne; 14 May 2015
· Sydney Architecture Festival, CineCity at SAF: Connections, [Screening of "Dunwich Fishing" & "Venice Water"], Golden Age Cinema, 9 November 2014
· Arquiteturas (Portugal international film festival screening documentary, experimental, animation and fiction films about architecture), [Screening of "Dunwich Fishing"], Cinema Alvalade, 26 September 2014
· Cinecity 2014 [Screening of "Dunwich Fishing" (received high commendation)]; State Theatre Centre, Perth, 9 May 2014; Vivid Ideas, MCA, Sydney, 30 May 2014; Testing Grounds, Melbourne, 25 July 2014; ACT EmAGN, Canberra, 12 August 2014.
· 2014 Australian International Experimental Film Festival [Screening of "Sunhouse Elevation/Sunhouse Azimuth"]; Replants, Fremantle, WA, 2-4 May 2014; Goodtime Studios, Melbourne, VIC, 16-18 May 2014.
· Experiments in Cinema v9.72 [Screening of "Sunhouse Elevation/Sunhouse Azimuth"] Guild Cinema, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA; 15 April 2014
· 1st Women Media Arts and Film Festival [Screening of "12 Frames"] The Armory Theatre, Sydney Olympic Park; 29 December 2013
· Architects Journal Light Shots [Screening of "Sun House 1" & "Shard 4 View" (both received honourable mentions)] The Apartment, Hoxton Grill; London; July 2013
· 2013 Australian International Experimental Film Festival [Screening of "12 Frames"] Loop, Melbourne; May 2013
· Projective Views Installation for Flow 2 Conference, Wunderlich Gallery, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne, 8-10 February 2012
· No. 33 Grezzo Experimental film-based installation, Grezzo, Italy, 11 August 2011
· Expanded Architecture Screening and panel discussion of "Architectural Film", Performance Space, Sydney, November 2010
· Workstation Speakeasy, Screening of commissioned video piece (Mimetic Surface #7), Workstation: 28 St. Johns Lane, London; September 2003
· OMSK: SNUB, Film; Video; Performance; Music Event, [Screening of "Arlene"] 86 Brick Lane, London; September 2002
· 291 Gallery Light Reading Programme, West Australian Experimental Screen Work, 291 Gallery, 291 Hackney Road, London; June 2002
· FX Magazine 100th Issue Party: experimental videos; Old Street, London; July 2002
· Metalux, Experimental Film Screenings, Domain Theatre, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney; 1-8 October 1997 & Film and Television Institute of Western Australia, Fremantle; September 1997
· Sandblast, Fabrica Gallery, Brighton; September 1996
· Ruins of the Future, installation for Adelaide International Arts Festival, Adelaide, March 1996 (3rd Place Ruins of the Future International Competition)
· Hong Kong - Perth Experimental Film & Video Exchange, University of Western Australia, Perth,1996
· Dust Eats PICA, Video Installation, part of Artrage Festival, Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts, Western Australia, 1994
Agnew, Eadaoin, Alliez, Eric, Auerbach, Paul, Blackburn, Robert, Botting, Fred, Brady, Mary, Caygill, Howard, Chadwick, Howard, Chanter, Tina, Choat, Simon, Chu, Jonathan, Cinpoes, Radu, Coultas, Valerie, Dines, Martin, Dixon, Paul, Favretto, Ilaria, Finn, Peter, Giaxoglou, Korina, Goldsmith, Carlie, Hallward, Peter, Hawkins, Sue, Haywood, Peter, Higginbottom, Andrew, Ichijo, Atsuko, Isaac, Marina, Jensen, Meg, Kayyali, Reem, Kettyle, Ann, Lambrou, Marina, Latimer, Amanda, Linton, Marisa, Lipsedge, Karen, Malabou, Catherine, O Maoilearca, John, McQuillan, Martin, Micklethwaite, Paul, Morgan Wortham, Simon, O'Brien, Catherine, Osborne, Peter, Pinnock, Winsome, Piper, Jason, Ponto, Maria, Raphael, Sam, Reid, Trish, Roberts, Mike, Rogers, David, Sandford, Stella, Searby, Michael, Siddiki, Jalal Uddin, Smart, Jackie, Spencer, Philip, Stockhammer, Engelbert, Stuart, John, Suess, Eleanor, Swift, Allan, Upstone, Sara, Vallee-Tourangeau, Frederic, Wells, Julian and Wilson, Scott (2014) Education should be a right for all. The Guardian,
Suess, Eleanor (2018) Light events : interior and exterior space in Michael Snow's Wavelength (1967). In: Sparke, Penny , Brown, Patricia , Lara-Betancourt, Patricia , Lee, Gini and Taylor, Mark, (eds.) Flow : interior, landscape, and architecture in the era of liquid modernity. London, U.K. : Bloomsbury. pp. 87-96. ISBN 9781472568038
Suess, Eleanor (2018) Projective views. In: Sparke, Penny , Brown, Patricia , Lara-Betancourt, Patricia , Lee, Gini and Taylor, Mark, (eds.) Flow: interior, landscape, and architecture in the era of liquid modernity. London, U.K. : Bloomsbury. pp. 134-141. ISBN 9781472568038
Suess, Eleanor (2015) Light matter : a transdisciplinary moving drawing practice. In: Troiani, Igea and Campbell, Hugh, (eds.) Architecture Filmmaking. Intellect. (In Press)
Suess, Eleanor (2014) Doors don't slam: time-based architectural representation. In: Maudlin, Daniel and Vellinga, Marcel, (eds.) Consuming architecture: on the occupation, appropriation and interpretation of buildings. Abingdon, U.K. : Routledge. pp. 243-259. ISBN 9780415825009