Student Switch Off is a National Union of Students competition that promotes environmentally friendly behaviour among students living in halls of residences.
Flats and blocks compete to see which of them can save the most energy and recycle most effectively. The winning flats and blocks at the end of each semester get treated to a large delivery of Ben & Jerry's ice cream!
In 2016/17 there were:
- 28 Student Ambassadors
- 653 student sign-ups to email list (27.8% of 2360 students living in residences)
- 2015/16 saw 14.7% reduction in Halls electricity usage saving over £8.7K and 47 tonnes of CO2
- 26 photos submitted in competitions
- 46 energy saving and recycling photos taken during halls visits, with 484 likes and over 6,400 photo views in Facebook
- 287 students took part in the Climate Change Quiz
- 8 recycling audits