Search our site
Search our site
  • Fee assessment

Fee assessment

Fee Assessment ensures we charge you the right amount for your course, either 'Home' or 'International' tuition fees.

Kingston University is legally required (as are all universities in the UK) to assess all of their students for this information in accordance with the provisions of the Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997 (including amendments).

All students, regardless of whether they are being sponsored by their employer, who are receiving a student loan through Student Finance England, are funding their studies independently, or are an exchange/Erasmus/returning student, are required to undergo this process because we, by law, have to ensure we hold accurate, up to date information about all of our students.

Please note: you will not be permitted to enrol on your course at the University until your fee status has been confirmed.

Frequently asked questions

How do I complete my fee status check?

  1. Complete the ‘Your Fee Status' task on OSIS - it shouldn't take longer than 3 minutes.
  2. Upload a copy of your valid passport on OSIS - The page of your passport that contains your photograph, full name, date of birth, issue/expiry date (often referred to as the 'biometric page').

I am a UK citizen/previous Kingston University student. Do I still need to complete the 'Your Fee Status' task on my OSIS account?

Yes, every applicant who intends to enrol at the University must complete the 'Your Fee Status' task.

My passport expires before 1 September 2019

If your passport expires before the start of your course, which under the fee regulations is considered to be 1 September 2019, you can still upload your passport as part of the 'Your Fee Status' task, however, we will be unable to complete your assessment.

Once you have completed the 'Your Fee Status' task, if you were born in the UK, you should email a copy of your full birth certificate to and we will upload this to your student record. If you were born outside of the UK, we will require a copy of your renewed passport as soon as possible.

Please note: we can only accept your UK birth certificate alongside an expired passport or other acceptable form of photo identification. If you no longer have your passport please see the following question.

What can I do if I don't have a passport?

If you do not have a current passport, but you were born in the UK, please submit copies of the following documents to as soon as possible so that we can upload them to your student record:

  • a copy of your UK birth certificate; and
  • a form of photo ID such as a driving licence, school/college/employment ID card etc.

I am an EU citizen. Can I use my ID card instead of my passport?

Yes. We will accept a copy of both the front and back of your EU identification card in place of your passport.

I have a different name to the one on my passport/relevant ID

If you have recently married or had a civil partnership and changed your name, but have your maiden name on your passport, you must submit a copy of your marriage/civil partnership certificate to so we can upload these documents to your student record.

If you have changed your name by Deed Poll, you must submit a copy of your change of name certificate to

What happens to the copy of my passport I have to submit?

Once you submit a copy of your passport, it will be uploaded to your student record. No other copies are retained by the University unless you are having a DBS check completed.

Only a small number of selected staff at the University are given access to view your passport against your student record via our secure student record system.

For security purposes, original documents should not be sent via post to the Fee Status team, as we cannot be held responsible for the safe return of such documents.

How do I pay my tuition fees?

Please note that your fee status only relates to your classification as either a 'Home' or 'International' fee payer. This section is not responsible for any tuition fee payments or queries regarding how much your course will cost. The University payments team will contact you with this information once your assessment by us has been completed; for 'home' students, this is likely to be after your enrolment event.

If you would like to know how much you will need to pay for the course or any other payment queries (eg issuing a receipt), please visit our undergraduate fees and funding pages or the postgraduate fees and funding pages.


I have additional questions, whom should I contact?

If you have any additional questions that have not been covered in this section, please contact

Due to high levels of enquiries please allow us at least five working days to respond to your query before re-sending your request. Should we require any additional information, or once we have completed your assessment, we will notify you via email.

Please continue to check your email account (including your junk/spam folder) regularly.

Site menu