Posted Friday 15 September 2017
The Big Read is University-wide initiative which welcomes new students to Kingston University and strengthens relationships with our local community. We launched it in 2015, and as we enter our third year we have just been nominated for Outreach Initiative of the Year in the Times Higher Education Awards. We are delighted, and would like to use this opportunity to reach out to our alumni, too.
additional financial and pastoral support for our students who have left care.Kingston University Big Read: Alumni Chapter is a way to stay involved in the life of the University and connect with academics, students, and your fellow alumni. Not only this, but your membership will also support the Big Read project into the future, as well as help us to provide
What does membership of the Alumni Chapter mean?
It means as much or as little involvement as you like. That might mean attending our termly in-person events, taking part in online discussions, or simply reading our Big Read book alongside us. We'd love you to join us in whichever form best suits you.
Members of The Kingston University Big Read: Alumni Chapter will -
• Receive their Kingston University Big Read book at the start of the academic year, alongside new Kingston-bound students. Each book is a Kingston University special edition, with a welcome message from the Vice-Chancellor and a unique letter from the book's author.
• Be invited to exclusive ‘Meet the Author' events - Kit De Waal will be speaking at Kingston University on 25 October 2017. This event will only be open to current students and Kingston University Big Read: Alumni Chapter members.
• Be welcomed into the University-wide Kingston University Big Read online discussion groups with academic staff and students.
• Be part of a small audience with award-winning poet, and likely Britain's best-known care leaver, Lemn Sissay on the 21 February 2018, hosted by our Social Work department.
• Support the Big Read project into the future and also help provide bursaries and additional pastoral support to our students who have left care - like Leon, the protagonist of this year's book.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to hear from you soon.