* All students are required to independently purchase the course textbook. Further details will be provided at the beginning of the course.
Why do this course?
This course is designed for students who do not have English as a first language. It focuses on general English language and skills. It particularly suits people who want to learn English for a short period per week, meet international students and staff in an academic setting and have fun practicing and developing your confidence in English. Being at Kingston University also allows you access to the facilities and learning resources during your studies.
This course aims to:
- Develop your general English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Build your general English vocabulary and knowledge of how to use English grammar accurately
- Meet other international peers, enhance your intercultural and communication skills and have fun through working on tasks on a range of interesting topics
- Do regular practice and assessments in all skills, receive frequent feedback
- Kingston Students: Get points towards your Kingston Award (15 points if you complete the course and assessments).
The course runs at four levels:
- KLS General English Skills 1: This module is suitable for Pre-intermediate and Intermediate level students i.e. English Language level of approximately IELTS 5 / CEFR up to B1 and students who want to build their confidence in speaking English.
- KLS General English Skills 2: This module is suitable for Intermediate level students i.e. English Language level of approximately IELTS 5.5-6.0 / CEFR B1-B2.
- KLS General English Skills 3: This module is suitable for Upper Intermediate level students i.e. English Language level of approximately IELTS 6-6.5 / CEFR B2.
- KLS General English Skills 4: This module is suitable for Advanced level students i.e. English Language level of approximately IELTS 7.0+ / CEFR C1-C2.
At the start of the course, we will conduct a test to put you in the correct level. You can study for one 10 week term or continue for two terms.
Please note, completion of this course does not provide UKVI-approved evidence of language level, and we cannot provide student visas or accommodation for entry onto this course.
Dates for open courses currently available will be listed above with a "Book now" link that will direct you to our payment website. If no dates are shown and you would like to register your interest for future dates for this course please contact us. Please note, places on these courses are limited - you must be able to make a regular commitment to the course, including some work outside class each week.
The course fees are as follows:
- Kingston University students and staff (including Study Abroad and Erasmus students):
Free (you will be required to purchase the course textbook independently at the beginning of the course. Your tutor will provide details in the first class).
- Non-Kingston students (members of the public):
Course fees are £240 for the first term, £200 for the second term. You will also be required to purchase the course textbook independently at the beginning of the course. Your tutor will provide details in the first class.
As an educational institution our fees do not attract VAT. If a course has any discounted fees available (eg for early-bird booking, alumni or students) these will be clearly outlined on the booking website.
Directions to Penrhyn Road campus, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2EE: