Search our site
Search our site

Immigration: students with families

If you're planning on coming to study in the UK with your family, please read the guidance on this page for details on what restrictions apply and where to get more detailed information.

Does this guidance apply to me?

This information does not apply to you if you are:

  • a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national; or
  • in the UK as a family member of such a person.

The EEA nations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or the UK.

If you are from one of these countries or Switzerland please read the UKCISA guidance for EEA and Swiss students for more information.

What immigration restrictions apply to my family?

Family members may include a spouse; civil partner; children; or others. For nationals of non-European Economic Area countries (and non-Swiss nationals) the following rules apply:

  • The spouse and/or children (under the age of 18) of a person admitted to the UK as a student to study for 6 months or longer will normally be granted permission to stay in the UK for the duration of their spouse's/parent's course of study.
  • Students with dependant(s) must provide evidence of sufficient funds to cover all expenses for themselves and their dependant(s) without using UK public funds. For detailed information on immigration rules and policy for dependants please see the UKCISA guidance for bringing your family.
  • Dependant family members are usually permitted to work, providing the student has been given leave to enter/remain in the UK for 12 months or more.

Does the University provide accommodation for families?

The University does not own accommodation for students with families, however, our accommodation advisers may be able to help you find suitable private accommodation.

We recommend that you make suitable accommodation arrangements before your family joins you in the UK.

Where can I find out more?

For further advice and details contact Kingston University's international student advisers; or read the UKCISA guidance for bringing your family.

Contact us

Visa and CAS enquiries
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3645

General international student enquiries
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 3411

International students
Site menu