How do I get support?

Students will need to register with the Disability and Mental Health Service in order to receive support. If you have declared your disability to the University through your application or the student record system (OSIS), this will not automatically allow you to access support. You will still need to get in touch with our service.

All students must complete the following steps to register with our service and receive support:

  • Provide supporting evidence of your disability
  • Provide evidence of your disability related study needs to receive a Summary of Support Needs (SOSN) plan
  • Sign our consent to share agreement

Register with us

What does registering with the Disability and Mental Health Service mean?

If you would like to receive disability support on your course, you will need to register with the Disability and Mental Health Service.

We won't tell anybody about you contacting or registering with us, unless you give us permission. If you do want support, we may have to tell some people to be able to put this in place, but only with your consent.

If you register with the Disability and Mental Health Service, this won't be added to your degree certificate, and we won't tell your future employers. By registering with our service, you are not ‘registered disabled'. Your information will always be confidential.

How to register?

To register with our service, you will need to provide appropriate medical and/ or diagnostic evidence of your disability.

  • If you have a Specific Learning difference such Dyslexia, we require a full diagnostic report from a Specialist Teacher or Educational Psychologist. The report structure must follow the SpLD Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) guidance. Please contact us if you have any questions about gaining evidence.
  • If you have another type of disability (including long term physical, sensory or mental health conditions) and don't have a medical letter confirming this, you can take the Disabled Student's Allowance evidence form to your GP or Doctor and return it to us.

Evidence must:

  • be completed by a relevant professional;
  • follow sector standards where appropriate e.g. Dyslexia/Specific learning differences
  • state the name of your disability, impairment or long-term health condition;
  • state whether it is temporary, long-term or permanent;
  • be up-to-date and where relevant, provide a prognosis and (expected) duration of the condition;
  • state how the disability/impairment affects you;
  • indicate wherever possible what study-related support or adjustments you may require.

Please note: adjustments outlined in evidence secured before attending Kingston University may not be replicated. This is to ensure equity. Different countries and/or Higher Education Institutions may have different standards. You will not automatically receive adjustments as they are for guidance only and the final decision rest with the Academic Registry at Kingston University.

If you have a Specific Learning Difference, such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia, please send us a copy of your full diagnostic assessment report from a specialist teacher or psychologist.

If you have a Disability including a Mental Health condition, please send us a medical letter from your doctor which clearly states your diagnosis. If you do not have this evidence, please ask your doctor to complete the Disabled Students' Allowance evidence form.

What is a Summary of Support Needs Document?

Once you have registered with the Disability and Mental Health Service, you will receive a summary of support needs document (SOSN). It will be available on OSIS, our student record system.

The SOSN will provide a summary of your diagnosis or impairment and study-related needs. It will also include recommendations for reasonable adjustments tailored to your individual needs and course requirements.

We will use your medical evidence to decide what adjustments need to be made to the way you are taught and assessed. We will also consider whether you have any difficulties accessing the buildings in the University.

Your SOSN will be shared with relevant members of your faculty, including your course team. This is so they are aware of your needs and able to organise and facilitate the support we have suggested within your SOSN.

Please visit our ‘what support can I get' page to find out more about the support you may be able to access during your studies.

Consent to share

As part of registering with the Disability and Mental Health Service, we will ask you to sign our consent to share agreement. This is so you can give your explicit written consent to share information about yourself. Nothing will be shared until you complete this form, even if you have sent in supporting medical evidence and have declared a disability on your application form.

We will respect your right to disclosure and confidentiality, and you can choose what information is to be shared and who to share it with. Please note in some circumstances, choosing not to share your disability may limit the types of adjustments that can be put in place.

If you have any concerns about disclosing your disability, we will be able to advise you and support you through the process.

When we might need to share your information

In very rare circumstances we may need to disclose information to third parties without your express permission. This would only happen if there was a serious risk to your own or others' safety or if we were compelled to disclose the information by law. In such circumstances we would, where possible, endeavour to discuss matters with you before taking any action.

In the event of a serious and/or imminent risk of major harm, other members of the University may be informed or called upon to assist in managing the immediate situation. In these circumstances the Disability and Mental Health Service will, wherever possible, limit any disclosure to only information that is necessary in the circumstances.

Parents and guardians can read more about the information that can be shared about their child at University on our ‘who do we support' page.