This event is a celebration of the United Nation's World Creativity and Innovation Day. The day aims to raise awareness of the role of creativity and innovation in all aspects of human development.
To enhance creativity and to develop innovations, individuals in large organisations often have to immerse into underground organisational activities that have no formal support and are otherwise rejected by the leadership of the organisation. Underground research is important for the management of firms in the following ways:
- it emerges as a potential link between individual creativity and formal innovation. Companies should accept covert research as a ‘biotope' for actively creative people
- it highlights a set of self-regulating mechanisms in corporate organisations and how creative employees may attempt to bridge corporate paradoxes
- underground R&D and other underground activities play an essential role in the competence building process of the organisation
- employees who develop projects in the underground have a high degree of organizational identification which is important for innovation performance and project acceleration
Despite its contribution to business performance and economic growth, underground creativity and innovation is an underexplored area of research and requires further investigation.
The Symposium aims to offer further discussion and new insights in underground creativity & innovation focused research and, it includes two parts.
The first part is a Presenter Session which will involve:
- 20 minute Presentations with 10 minute Q&A sessions
- 10 minute Enlightening Talks with 5 minute Q&A sessions
The second part is a Panel Session that will engage a group of panellists in an interactive discussion with the audience on underground creativity & innovation.
Who should attend?
- All scholars whose research regularly engages with and/or produces outputs on topics related to underground creativity & innovation are welcome to attend. The Symposium offers a unique opportunity to contribute to the discussion and exploration of underground creativity and innovation focused research and to network with other scholars with similar research interests. Topics of interest include but not limited to bootlegging (e.g., Augsdörfer, 2005; Criscuolo, Salter, and Ter Wal, 2014; Globocnik & Salomo, 2015, Stephan and Bubenzer, 2019), counter-role behaviors (e.g., Staw & Boettger, 1990), creative deviance (e.g., Lin, Mainemelis, & Kark, 2016; Mainemelis, 2010; Tenzer & Yang, 2020), and rebelliousness (e.g., Petrou et al., 2020; Petrou, Van Der Linder, & Olescu, 2018).
- Practitioners who wish to establish a professional network, learn more about underground creativity & innovation approaches and explore mentoring opportunities.
- To give a 20 min Presentation, authors are invited to state their interest by submitting the title/topic accompanied by the author(s) names, affiliations, key words and status of this research (published, under review, in development stage). A short abstract would be welcomed but not required.
- To give a 10 min Enlightening Talk, authors are invited to state their interest by submitting the title/topic of their presentation accompanied by the author(s) names, affiliations, key words and status of this research (published, under review, in development stage).
All submissions must be sent to Dr Evy Sakellariou via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The submission deadline is March 31st 2021.
A seamless virtual experience
The Symposium will take place on Microsoft Teams online platform. Before the event, please download the app on your device.
Most sessions will be recorded and remain available to watch at any time during the Symposium and for an extended period after the Symposium, allowing for increased reach and impact.
Evy Sakellariou, Kingston Business School / Future-thinking & Decision-making Research Hub
- Peter Augsdörfer, Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt
- Charalampos Mainemelis, Alba Graduate Business School
- Anika Stephan-Korus, School of Management Fribourg
Once registered, you will receive a link to join the event in April.
Booking is essential to attend this event.