How to apply for a research degree

In order to be considered for a research degree we will need the following from you. Please ensure that you have all documentation ready before you apply. It is essential that you have the support of an academic prepared to supervise you before applying, as you are required to put his/her name on the application form - see the Research FAQ section on this page for further information.

If you are applying for an EdD, you will need to visit our page on how to apply for a Doctor of Education (EdD).

Application form

Complete the postgraduate application form. The application form requires you to name two referees. In order to progress your application, we will require the actual written references to be sent as soon as possible after your application has been submitted. It is your responsibility to ask your referees to send their reference to us.

Download the Kingston University reference form (PDF).

A detailed research proposal

A detailed research proposal - please see our guidance on preparing a proposal and address all the points.

When submitting a project proposal as part of your application please ensure that it is all your own work and where you have made use of the work of others this is clearly indicated through a citation or acknowledgement. Please be aware that the University takes any act of plagiarism seriously and will conduct a plagiarism check on all research proposal documents submitted for application. If plagiarism is identified the application may be unsuccessful. The University will not accept a lack of understanding of the requirements for acknowledging the work of others as a legitimate defence for academic misconduct.

Copies of all academic qualifications

For example, degree and/or masters including certificates and transcripts.

International students

For international students who have not previously studied in the UK a majority English speaking country, evidence of English language proficiency through the completion of an English language qualification (IELTS score of minimum 6.5 overall or equivalent is required). The ILETS or TOEFL must have been awarded no more than 24 months before the actual start date for your research degree.

If you plan to study as an overseas-based student, the expectation is that candidates will have a host institution supporting them, in terms of laboratory and library facilities and local supervision. If so, we will also require a letter - on headed paper -- from the institution confirming this. Specifically, the letter should comment on the local availability of library and other appropriate resources; provide details of the local supervisor and rationale for his/her choice and indicate the frequency and nature of contact between the student and the local supervisor. We shall also require a letter - on headed paper - from the local supervisor, confirming they agree to this role. His or her CV should be included with this letter.

If you are not a national of the European Economic Area (including Switzerland), you may have to apply for a valid ATAS Clearance Certificate before applying for a CAS and visa. You can only apply for an ATAS certificate when you have received the formal offer of a place.

International students: It is essential that you apply well in advance of the expiry of your visa as the timeframe for our application process cannot be changed and you may need to plan to return to your home country if your visa expiry date is imminent.