Search our site
Search our site

Immigration: students with families

If you're planning on coming to study in the UK with your family, please read the guidance on this page for details on what restrictions apply and where to get more detailed information.

Does this guidance apply to me?

This information does not apply to you if you are:

  • a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national; or
  • in the UK as a family member of such a person.

The EEA nations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria,Croatia,  Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or the UK.

If you are from one of these countries or Switzerland please read the UKCISA guidance for Family members of EEA nationals for more information.

Applying as the Family Member of a Tier 4 (General) Migrant in the UK

If you are the family member of a Tier 4 (General) applicant, whether or not you can apply for the PBS Dependant category in the UK depends on the type of permission to stay that you have and type of course the Tier 4 (General) student is studying, or will be studying.

You can be the family member of a Tier 4 (General) applicant where they are applying for, or have been granted, entry clearance, leave to enter, or leave to remain in the United Kingdom as a Tier 4 (General) Student if:

  • the Tier 4 (General) applicant is a government sponsored student who is applying for, or who has been granted, entry clearance or leave to remain to undertake a course of study longer than six months; or
  • (ii) the Tier 4 (General) applicant is:
  • applying for, or has been granted entry clearance or leave to remain in order to undertake a course of study at post-graduate level for 12 months or longer;


  • b) is sponsored by a sponsor who is a Recognised Body or a body in receipt of funding as a higher education institution from either:
  • I the Department for Employment and Learning in Northern Ireland;
  • II. the Higher Education Funding Council for England;
  • III. the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales; or IV. the Scottish Funding Council;

For more information please read the following information on the Home Office website PBS Dependant.

Does the University provide accommodation for families?

The University does not own accommodation for students with families, however, our accommodation advisers may be able to help you find suitable private accommodation.

We recommend that you make suitable accommodation arrangements before your family joins you in the UK.

Contact us

Student Life Centre: Immigration Advisor
Tel: +44(0)20 8417 7313

International students
Site menu