Search our site
Search our site

Biometric Residence Permit collection

If you're entering the UK on a visa you'll need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit within ten days of arrival. You'll need this card before you enrol on your course and, if required, to register with the police.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?

A BRP is a card (the size of a bank card) that contains your personal information; details of your unique physical characteristics that can be used to identify you (fingerprints, photograph etc.) and your immigration status and any conditions of your stay.

When must I collect my BRP?

You must collect your BRP within ten days of arriving in the UK. If you fail to do this within the ten days this could result in your visa being cancelled or a penalty being charged. You'll also need to collect it before your enrolment date, as you  must have this to enrol at Kingston University.

Where must I collect my BRP?

If you applied for your visa from overseas, your BRP will be available for collection at the post office. Which post office it has been sent to will be confirmed in your 'decision letter' that you'll receive before you leave for the UK.

Download a prospectus

Prospectus for international studentsSee our latest international prospectuses to find out more about studying at Kingston:

Tier 4 Sponsor licence

Kingston University has a Tier 4 Sponsor licence (previously known as Highly Trusted Sponsor). This is renewed annually by the Home Office, which is standard across all UK universities.

Police registration

A small number of international students are required by the British government to register with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) within 10 days of arrival in the UK. The stamp or the visa sticker in your passport will state if you need to register with the police.


International students
Site menu