A guide to UCAS Tariff points and differential offers

Kingston University courses have entry requirements based on UCAS Tariff points. The information on this page will help you calculate how many UCAS Tariff points you hold so that you can see if you meet the entry requirements for your course of interest.

How many tariff points you need will depend on the course you are applying for. Please see the entry requirements on our course pages to find out how many UCAS points you should have. On a small number of courses, we also ask for a specific minimum grade in a particular element, so please do check our entry requirements carefully.


What are UCAS Tariff points?

UCAS Tariff points translate your qualifications and grades into a numerical value, depending on the level of qualification and the grade you achieved. Most, but not all, qualifications have a tariff value.

A grade-based offer (e.g. BBC) means a student must achieve a certain combination of grades, whereas an offer based on UCAS points (e.g. 112) allows a student to use any combination of grades to meet the threshold.

Like most universities, we use the UCAS Tariff point system so you would normally see our offers in tariff points on our course entry requirements. For some courses, we may also ask for specific grades in a particular subject.

You can find out more about UCAS Tariff points on the UCAS website.

Two female students looking at a laptop screen

How many UCAS points do I have?

Use the tables below to work out how many UCAS points you have, based on your qualifications. Tariff points can be acquired either via a single type of qualification, for example A-levels, or a mixture of two or more. This could be, for example, A-levels and AS levels or A-levels and a BTEC.

A-level results

A-level gradeUCAS Tariff points
A* 56
A 48
B 40
C 32
D 24
E 16

AS level results

AS level gradeUCAS Tariff points
A 20
B 16
C 12
D 10
E 6

BTEC Diploma results

BTEC Diploma gradeUCAS Tariff points
D*D* 112
D*D 104
DD 96
DM 80

T-level results

T-level gradeUCAS Tariff points
Distinction* 168
Distinction 144
Merit 120
Pass (C or above on the core) 96
Pass (D or E on the core) 72

Please note: For some courses, there may be a specific additional entry requirement which is not covered by T-levels for instance Level 2 qualifications such as GCSE's. 

What are T-levels?

T-levels are an alternative to A levels, apprenticeships and other further education courses. T-level focuses on vocational skills and can help students into skilled employment, higher education and/or apprenticeships.

Students who study T-level spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the skills that employers need. The other 20% is in a meaningful industry placement, where students put these skills into action.

T-levels are equivalent to three A-levels and we recognise the UCAS tariff points they attract in line with other qualifications that aid progression to higher education. We welcome applications from those studying T-levels and, in most cases, base offers on the UCAS tariff points they attract.

More about T-levels

Why do courses show a tariff range?

Why do courses show a tariff range?

Our course entry requirements include tariff ranges, for example, 112-128. This means that applicants can be accepted to the same course based on slightly different UCAS points.

We vary the required UCAS Tariff points in our offers as we consider each application individually and use a number of factors to build an offer that is tailored to you, this includes your personal statement, predicted grades, and in some cases an interview or portfolio review. 

There may also be course specific entry requirements, such as:

  • subject specific grades in level 3 qualification for example A-levels and BTEC's.
  • non-academic requirements such as Occupation Health Checks and DBS clearance.
  • a minimum grade, where one is not already held, in an English language qualification such as GCSE or IELTs.

We want you to succeed at university and achieving the best possible grades in your entry qualifications is a big part of that.