Why do this course?
Painting classes for those wishing to learn oil and acrylic painting techniques.
The course is designed to provide high-level input, not normally available through traditional evening classes.
- Lesson 1 – Understanding the different medium, materials and painting surfaces involved in the painting process
- Lesson 2 – Composition, line, tone and colour
- Lesson 3 – Research and practice painting techniques
- Lesson 4 – Analyse painting techniques in order to create a mood/atmosphere
- Lesson 5 – Critical reflection on the work produced
What to bring
Basic kit of materials for oil and acrylic painting: sketchbook, pencils and eraser.
Oil painting kit:
- Georgian students oils or Daler Rowney oil range. Prices are reasonable and the paint dries quicker. Always ask for student materials.
- Brushes (hogs hair – flat) sizes recommended: No. 6, 8, 10.
- Paint: Large: Titanium White. Small: Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Alizarine Crimson.
- Suggested additional colours: Paynes Grey, Cadmium Yellow, Prussian Blue, Cobalt Blue, Cadmium Red, Raw Umber.
- Surfaces to paint on: Pre-stretched canvas, canvas boards or oil paper. For the purposes of this course choose a size which is easily transportable.
- Jars and a palette. You can get tear off disposable wax paper palettes. Paper towels, masking tape, rags.
Acrylic painting kit:
Requires similar materials to oil that includes acrylic brushes, acrylic colour jars and palettes.
You can buy pre-stretched canvas for both acrylic and oil.
- Brushes: A range of bristle brushes roundhead 1 or 2 - 5. Flathead 8, 10, 12.
- Paints: Cadmium Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Ultramarine Blue, Caeruleum Blue, Cadmium Red, Alizarine Crimson and Titanium White.
Tutored by a regular member of the Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture team.
Dates for open courses currently available will be listed in the table at the top of this page with a "Book now" link that will direct you to our payment website. If no dates are shown and you would like to register your interest for future dates for this course please contact us.
View the terms and conditions for booking a short course.
The standard course fee is indicated at the top of this page. If a course has any discounted fees available (eg for early-bird booking, alumni or students) these will be clearly outlined on the booking website.
As an educational institution fees for our open short courses do not attract VAT.
Directions to Knights Park campus, Grange Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT1 2QJ: