Licence agreement for students in Kingston University halls 2022/23

Please note: This page reflects the agreement for those in student halls of residence for the 2022/23 period. If you wish to view the licence for 2023/24 please go to

Your Halls Licence is your legally-binding housing agreement. We have split it into two parts for you:

  • Halls Licence Agreement – this covers all key information you need to be aware of prior to moving in, such as your address, the cost of your room, how you pay for it, the guest policy and much more.
  • Halls Guide – this covers all the dos and don'ts regarding behaviour whilst living in Kingston University halls of residence and what we expect from you as a resident.

Make sure you read these in detail and truly understand the obligations and rights you have whilst living at University.

We are confident that we will succeed in creating a safe and harmonious student living environment for everyone to enjoy, if all our student residents adhere to these guidelines.

Halls Licence

Parties to the Agreement and the Accommodation

The Licence Agreement is made between yourself and Kingston University to occupy the room you have been allocated.

Main Terms of the Licence Agreement

Period of Your Licence Agreement

This section will cover the dates of your Halls Licence Agreement. Dependent upon your course and level of study you will either be placed on a 40-week licence, a 43-week licence or a 50-week licence.

The Halls Fees

Outlines the total cost of your room for the entire length of your licence, and the weekly rent of your room.

Cancellation of the Licence Agreement

You have the right to cancel your contract with the University, providing it is at least 14 days prior to the move-in date.

To cancel your contract, you must write an email to the Kingston University Accommodation Office at

If you fail to take up your room within 14 days of your licence start date, and you haven't either notified the University that you'll be moving in late or cancelled your room, then the University reserved the right to cancel the Licence.

Once you move into your room, your right to cancel does not apply. You will be liable for the Halls Fees for the entire period of the Licence Agreement.

Terms and Conditions

Payment of the Halls Fees

You're required to make payment in full for the Halls Fees unless a Recurring Card Payment (RCP) is agreed in accordance with the Financial Information at the end of this Licence Agreement.

If an RCP is not in place, or payments of Halls Fees are not made, we may begin legal proceedings to recover the debt.

If you are experiencing difficulty in the payment of Halls Fees, you are advised to notify Accommodation immediately and to seek advice from a Student Money Adviser.

The Halls Fees include all utility bills – gas, electricity, and water – and wireless internet connection.

Moving in and moving out

If the booked accommodation is not ready for occupation at the start of the licence period, the University will provide suitable alternative accommodation until the Accommodation is ready.

You should occupy your room no later than 5pm on the start date of your Licence Agreement, unless you notify the Accommodation Team of a delayed arrival.

If you overstay beyond the end date of your Licence, you will have to pay for the whole flat for that period. The University may also issue an immediate Notice to Quit (NTQ).

Room moves and exchanges

The University is currently within a Halls Refurbishment programme at the Kingston Hill and Seething Wells Halls of Residence. The University reserves the right to under this Licence Agreement to require you to vacate your room should it be part of the refurbishment plan. Students affected will be rehoused in upgraded halls.

On rare occasions we may require you to move rooms if your room is needed for a disabled student, or if it is in the best interests of your own or others' wellbeing.

If you wish to move rooms, you must first discuss this with the Accommodation Team. Room exchanges will be considered after 1 November, unless in exceptional circumstances.

There is a £50 charge for room exchanges. Once the room exchange has been registered and approved by the Accommodation Team, this charge will be applied.

Use of accommodation

All hall rooms are let on the basis that you are a registered student at the University and that the room will be occupied by you only. Subletting, or letting anyone other than yourself to occupy your room is forbidden.

Pets are not allowed. The only animals allowed are assistance or therapy animals for students with long-term health conditions.

You cannot use the accommodation for any business purpose or as the registered office of a company.

You must not damage or change the structure or decoration, or move existing or add furniture to the room or flat. You may be charged for any damages.

You must keep your room key safe and not give it to anyone else.

If you watch any 'catch-up' TV services on devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone etc. you must purchase your own TV Licence.

The University has arranged some contents insurance under an Endsleigh Insurance Policy. The cover is not unlimited so it is important to find out exactly what you are covered for as you may need to extend it to protect all of your possessions both inside and outside your room. Enter policy number HH1217 on the Endsleigh Insurance website to check the policy details.

You are responsible for keeping your room or studio clean and collectively responsible with other residents in the flat for the cleaning of the communal areas, such as the kitchen.

You must not bring bicycles into the residences. These must be stored in the external bicycle sheds.


Guests must be over 18 years of age and sign in and out at Hall Reception. Out of respect for other occupants, all visitors should leave the hall site quietly.

You are allowed a maximum of two visitors at any one time. You are advised to stay with your guests at all times and remember that you are responsible for the behaviour of your guests.

Guests must not exceed reasonable frequency. As a guide, one overnight guest should not stay for more than three consecutive nights in any one week, and for a maximum of six visits per term.

Our responsibilities

We will provide the following facilities in the Hall:

  • Maintenance and repair of the Hall.
  • Provision of fire-fighting and fire safety equipment in the Hall.
  • Adequate supply of hot water for domestic use to the wash basins, showers and baths in the Hall.
  • Heat in the Hall during the term of the Licence having regard to prevailing weather conditions.
  • Adequate lighting and power supplies to the Hall.
  • Adequate furniture / equipment which complies with the appropriate safety standards.
  • Internet connection in the room.
  • Launderette facilities (either coin- or card-operated).

We will ensure that all staff and contractors requiring access to your room carry identification.

We will not interrupt your occupation of your room except when necessary for maintenance, reasons relating to your ill health, general health and safety issues, to resolve issues with your flat mates or as set out elsewhere in these terms and conditions.

In the event of any interruption to our provision of the facilities listed above we will do our best to find a temporary solution, until the problem is fixed or a more permanent solution arranged.

If your occupation of the room is interrupted for more than 12 hours, the University will endeavour to provide you with suitable alternative accommodation.

We will not be liable for any loss or interruption to your occupation of the room or provision of the facilities arising as a result of any matter beyond our control, such as extremes of weather, power cuts or a Force Majeure Event.

Your responsibilities

You must allow us to enter your room at any time to ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations and any applicable University regulations and to provide maintenance work or to conduct an inventory or welfare check.

You should treat all residents and Halls Management with consideration and respect in accordance with the Personal Conduct section of the Student Hall Guide. Inappropriate behaviour specific to the Halls will be dealt with under the Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure, or otherwise under the Student Disciplinary Procedure.

You must show a valid Kingston University ID card when requested by a member of University staff or Halls Management.

Leaving Halls early

Once you have accepted the Licence Agreement for a room in our Halls of Residence, you will be liable to pay the Halls Fees for the duration of your Licence period.

If you wish to terminate the Licence before the end of the term and you are not withdrawing from or suspending your studies, you must notify Accommodation in writing, giving 28 days' notice. At the end of the notice period, you must clean and vacate your room and return your key to the Hall Reception by midday on the day of departure. You will remain liable for the rent under the Licence until another eligible student who is not already resident in Halls, and who is acceptable to Accommodation, can be found to accept the remainder of the contract.

Students who withdraw from or interrupt (suspend) their studies are no longer eligible to reside in University accommodation, and are required to leave their rooms in Halls. Students in this situation should notify the Accommodation Team in writing as early as possible. You will be liable for the accommodation fees until you have checked-out of the Hall (vacated and cleaned your room, removed all rubbish and returned your key to Hall Reception), or your withdrawal has been confirmed by your Student and Course Office, whichever is the latter.

Students who are resident in a Studio at 75 Penrhyn Road who move out prior to the end of their licence period, or whose course ends before the end of the licence period, will incur a Council Tax liability.

University action to end your Licence

We may end the Licence at any time, prior to its end date by issuing a Notice to Quit for you to leave if you:

  1. are not, or cease to be, enrolled as student at Kingston University; and / or
  2. you are suspended from the University for reasons other than a tuition fee debt; and / or
  3. have failed to pay the accommodation fees by the required date; and / or
  4. have caused serious nuisance or other anti-social behaviour; and / or
  5. have caused a serious risk to the health, safety or wellbeing of yourself or others; and/or are in serious or persistent breach of the terms of this Licence.

Students are required to engage in the Notice to Quit process by attending interviews and responding to communication from the Halls Managers and Compliance Team.

If we end your Licence you will remain liable for the full halls fees until the end of the Licence period unless the University is able to re-licence the room to another eligible student. Where we are able to re-licence the room, credit will be given and, if appropriate, a refund issued.

If you do not leave Halls after the expiry of the Notice to Quit we will commence court proceedings for possession of the room and then for a warrant for your eviction. The University will seek to recover its legal costs from you in such cases.


Notices to be sent to Accommodation must be sent to the following address:

Kingston University – Accommodation
Student Life Centre
John Galsworthy Building
Penrhyn Road
Kingston upon Thames KT1 2EE


Or sent by email from a Kingston University email address to

Notices to be sent to Halls Management or Hall Reception must be delivered to the Reception at the Hall of Residence site.

Any notice served by the University on you will be deemed to have been duly served if emailed to you via your Kingston University email address. You will be made aware of a notice through a message being placed on your door/under your door or in your Halls of Residence Mailbox.

Jurisdiction and other legal things

This Licence shall be governed by English law and under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.

If any provision of this Licence is found by a Court to be invalid, the other provisions of the Licence remain in force and in full effect.

Any delay by either you or the University in enforcing any rights under this Licence is not a waiver of those rights unless agreed in writing.

The rights and obligations under this Licence are personal to the University and its subsidiaries and you and are not intended, unless expressly mentioned, to confer rights or benefits to any third party. The Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 shall not apply.

The University regards this agreement as a Licence but in the event of any Court or Tribunal finding that this document is a tenancy agreement and not a Licence, we hereby give formal notice that possession might be recovered under Ground 4 of Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 (student letting).

Our rights to decide if you have breached this Licence will be exercised reasonably but will be made 'on the balance of probabilities' and take into account all circumstances that we reasonably deem relevant.

References to the University include its subsidiary companies, and references to University staff include subsidiary company staff (specifically KUSCO Limited staff) and any third parties involved in management of our Halls of Residence.

Your personal data will be held in our cloud-based accommodation management system, accessible only to staff of Kingston University, KUSCO Limited and any third parties involved in management of our Halls of Residence. Your personal data will be kept confidential and held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation. The legal basis on which your personal data is processed is to enable the University and its agents to perform its contractual obligations under this Licence.


Reporting Maintenance or other Issues with the Accommodation

In the first instance, report any maintenance or fault issues to the Reception at your Hall of Residence. View your Halls site contact details.

If you feel that your concern has not been dealt with satisfactorily, ask to speak to the Hall Manager or put the problem in writing to the appropriate site email address. View your Halls site contact details.

Complaints about this Licence Agreement

Complaints about the operation of this Licence Agreement should be made to Accommodation as follows:

  • In person: The Accommodation Team at the Student Life Centre, Penrhyn Road Campus
  • In writing: Accommodation, Kingston University, Student Life Centre, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2EE
  • By email:

Financial information

Halls fees payment

We expect students to set up a Recurring Card Payment (RCP) using a UK or International debit or credit card to meet the three instalment dates listed below.

As detailed in the covering document of the Student Partnership Agreement, your licence period will be dated from September 18 (as standard).


  1. An RCP must be set up via the e-payment website at a minimum of five days prior to the collection of the first instalment.
  2. If an RCP is not set up in time for the collection, the student is responsible for making payment via another method by the instalment due date in order to avoid debt recovery action being taken by the University.
  3. If the move-in date shown on your Licence Agreement is after the first instalment date of the standard Licence period you must pay the amount of Halls Fees due between the move-in date and the next instalment date immediately. If you wish to pay the remaining Halls Fees in instalments you must set up an RCP via the e-payment website at a minimum of 14 days prior to the collection of the next instalment.

The University's Halls Fees instalment plan, with number of weeks' rent for each instalment, is as follows:

Licence typeInstalment 1
13 October 2022
Instalment 2
19 January 2023
Instalment 3
11 May 2023
40 weeks:
Standard licence
16 weeks' rent
(40% of annual rent)
16 weeks' rent
(40% of annual rent)
8 weeks' rent
(20% of annual rent)
43 weeks:
PGCE students
38% of annual rent 38% of annual rent 24% of annual rent
50 weeks:
Nursing and Midwifery students,
Postgraduate students,
all licences for 75 Penrhyn Road
18 weeks' rent
(36% of annual rent)
16 weeks' rent
(32% of annual rent)
16 weeks' rent
(32% of annual rent)

Student Halls Guide

Student Halls of Residence Partnership Agreement

Kingston University is committed to working in partnership with our students to enhance the Halls of Residence student experience. Kingston University wants you, our students, to get the most out of your University Life and, specifically, your stay in halls.

Health and safety

  • You must take responsibility for your own and others' safety and you are expected to comply with any Health and Safety Policies and Fire Regulations that are in place.
  • You must not interfere with, cover or otherwise misuse the fire fighting and safety equipment or signage installed in the Hall, Flat or Studio, or allow anyone else to do so.
  • Don't prop open doors or cover detector heads as this could pose a serious danger in the event of a fire. Escape routes and fire exit doors must not be obstructed in any way.
  • Only cook in the designated kitchen areas. Cooking equipment should only be stored in kitchen areas.
  • Other equipment such as heaters, small refrigerators may only be brought into the accommodation with the prior written permission of Halls Management, or upon the written prior recommendation of a University Disability or Mental Health Adviser.
  • You are responsible for the safety of any electrical appliances that you bring onto University premises. All equipment must be fitted with a suitable and fused plug and must carry the CE mark. All device chargers must be certified as compatible with the items being charged.
  • Candles, incense sticks, hookah and shisha pipes, or similar potential burning or smouldering materials are not permitted.
  • Nitrous Oxide (a.k.a. laughing gas) is a banned substance on all Kingston University premises, including halls of residence.
  • Smoking, including the smoking of e-cigarettes and vaporisers, is not permitted in halls of residence. You and your guests must not use the Halls for any illegal purpose. This includes the possession or supply of prohibited drugs. Weapons or replicas, including guns, air guns and swords, are not permitted.
  • You are required to ensure that you keep your room or studio in a condition that does not cause an unnecessary risk to yourselves or others. 

Breach of the above may be treated as misconduct and dealt with under the Halls Conduct and Behaviour Procedure or the Student Conduct and Behaviour Procedure which applies to all University Students. This could result in the termination of your Licence Agreement. In this case you will be liable for the Halls Fees for the room until the end of your original licence period unless the University is able to re-let your room to another eligible student

Personal conduct

You should behave with consideration and respect and not do anything that is likely to cause a nuisance or annoyance to other residents, guests or staff in the Halls, or to the neighbours and community around the Halls.

Stereos, televisions and other noise must not be audible outside your room at any time. You should also ensure that noise created by you or your guests does not cause a disturbance to other residents. For the comfort of all residents, noise should be kept to an absolute minimum between 11pm and 7am.

Halls of Residence are private living and studying environments; they are not appropriate locations for parties, particularly those involving a large amount of people. You must not host or advertise unauthorised events within the Halls of Residence or invite excessive numbers of guests into Halls of Residence.

Anti-social or inappropriate behaviour is unacceptable, incidents specific to the Halls will be dealt with through the Halls of Residence Code of Conduct below, other misconduct will be dealt with through the Student Disciplinary Procedure. This could result in your Licence Agreement being terminated; in this case you will be liable for the Halls Fees for the room until the end of your original Licence Agreement unless the University is able to re-let your room to another eligible student.

Parking and bicycles

  • Parking spaces are not guaranteed and are subject to availability. You need to obtain a non-transferable parking pass and swipe card to park at University halls sites. Parking permission ends whenever this Licence ends.
  • All vehicles (including bicycles) must be left in designated areas only.
  • The planning permission for 75 Penrhyn Road stipulates that students in that hall are not entitled to apply for a Residents' Parking Permit from the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames. By agreeing to this Licence you agree not to apply for such a permit.
  • We are not liable for any loss / damage whatsoever to such property, except to the extent that any such loss or damage is caused by our negligence.

Moving out

  • Before you move out, you must clean and tidy your room and remove all your belongings from both your room and the communal areas, and ensure that any rubbish is disposed of in the correct bins. We will dispose of any remaining items without any liability to you or the University. You have joint responsibility for communal areas and individual responsibility for your own room.
  • If you are moving-out due to interruption of your studies, or withdrawal from the University, please notify the Accommodation Team.
  • You must hand-in your keys to Hall Reception by midday on the date the Licence ends. Failure to return keys will incur an Additional Charge.
  • You should arrange for re-direction of post or notify change of address. Post and deliveries for residents who have left will be refused or returned to sender.

Additional charges

Item leading to ChargeAmount of Charge
Room Exchange Fee (only possible after 1 November) £50
Early Leaver Charge Equivalent to the rent outstanding for the remainder of the licence period until such time as another student takes up occupation of the room
Lock Change as a result of a lost key At cost
Repairs and replacement of items where fault can be identified, or an apportioned share of the cost amongst students in a particular flat if fault cannot be identified At cost

Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure (formerly Code of Conduct)

Students living in Kingston University's Halls of Residence are expected to follow the Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure (formerly the Halls of Residence Code of Conduct).

Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure

Purpose and scope

Students are expected to behave considerately at all times as a member of the University and local community, and to respect the rights of other students, staff and members of the public, both on and off campus.

The Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure (formerly the Halls of Residence Code of Conduct) is an integral part of the Halls Licence Agreement, the Student Halls Guide and the Student Conduct and Behaviour GR3, and applies to all students living in a University Hall of Residence.

All reported allegations of misconduct or misbehaviour against resident students will be considered. Investigations may lead to action being taken in accordance with the University's Student Conduct & Behaviour Procedure.

This procedure will be followed in accordance with the University's strategy for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.

Reporting of allegations of breach of Licence Agreement or other misconduct in Halls of Residence

Halls of residence management teams, and University teams will record any alleged incidents where residents are considered to have breached the terms of their Licence Agreement for action under the Halls Conduct & Behaviour Procedure.

Any allegations of a breach of a term of the Licence Agreement or other misconduct in halls of residence must be reported to Halls Management within 15 working days of the incident or last in a series of incidents.


Halls management will keep records of incidents and complaints regarding alleged breaches of the Halls Licence. These will be shared with the University and will support any actions under this procedure.

Residents found to have been behaving in a manner that is in breach of the terms of their Halls Licence may receive an informal warning from the Halls Management Team for low level incidents.

If there is a repeat of this behaviour after the informal warning, or the behaviour is considered to be of a suitable level of concern, a University Warning may be issued.

Severe behaviour or continued lower-level breaches, may be referred for a University Investigation.


If a University warning has previously been issued, or an incident is considered to be of suitable severity, the University may proceed with an investigation to decide on appropriate interventions and sanctions to address the behaviour.

The University will collate evidence from those involved, provide redacted copies to the resident(s) and arrange an interview with the resident(s). This meeting will normally be held within five days of receipt of the allegations. If the resident is unable to attend the meeting, they should advise the University in advance in order that an alternate meeting time may be arranged.

If the resident fails to attend the second meeting without providing a valid reason for their inability to attend, the University has the final decision on whether to adjourn the interview or proceed without the student present, and the matter may be considered in their absence.

Accompaniment and representation

The meeting will be conducted by one or more members of the University and notes of the meeting will be taken. Students may be accompanied by one individual (you may wish to be accompanied by a friend, family member, officer or staff member from the Union of Kingston Students', or by a Trade Union or professional association staff member, if applicable). The individual accompanying you will not be permitted to make representations, ask, or answer questions on your behalf. We strongly recommend that you seek guidance from the Union of Kingston Students who are very experienced with supporting students through these processes.

Representation by any third party will only be permitted where there is a compelling reason, for example, ill health and/or disability and if considered necessary by the staff member coordinating the interview or panel (whose decision is final). In such circumstances, you will need to provide us with signed written consent for this representation.

Investigation outcome and penalties

If it is determined on the balance of probabilities that a breach of the Licence Agreement has occurred, one or more of the following penalties may be applied:

  • A formal warning – repeated incidences of such behaviour may lead to a final warning being issued
  • Suspended Notice to Quit – any further incidences may lead to a Notice to Quit being issued
  • A Notice to Quit, requiring the student to leave their room in Halls within 28 days
  • An Immediate Notice to Quit, requiring the student to leave their room in Halls within 24 hours
  • A charge in accordance with Section 7 of the Licence Agreement. Further details available under "Additional Charges" in the Student Halls Guide [1]

Matters of serious misconduct may also be referred for investigation under the University's Student Conduct & Behaviour Procedure.

Outcomes will be communicated to the student in writing, including by email, within five working days of the interview.

[1] Please note that these are examples of types of breaches and the possible outcomes. This list is not exhaustive.


A student who is dissatisfied with the outcome of an Investigation under the Halls of Residence Code of Conduct, specifically if they have been issued with a warning and/or penalty, may submit an appeal on one of the following grounds

  1. The University's Procedures have not been followed and this has affected the outcome
  2. Based on the evidence available at the time, the outcome is unreasonable
  3. You have new evidence which you were unable to provide earlier in the process, for valid and evidenced reasons, and this has affected the outcome.

A letter of appeal, including any supporting documentation, must be submitted by the resident within 5 working days of the outcome letter. This must be sent to either or depending on which was specified in the appeal section of the outcome letter.

Appeals which do not meet the grounds for appeal or are submitted late and do not provide compelling exceptional reasons, will not be considered. Academic Registry will let you know if this is the case and will provide you with a Completion of Procedures Letter which will allow you to take your case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).

A member of staff, with no prior involvement in your case, will be appointed as the Investigator to consider your appeal and will provide you with an outcome in writing within 10 working days of its receipt.

If your appeal is upheld, the Investigator may recommend that a fresh and independent Investigation into the original allegations is undertaken, or they may overturn the original decision and replace this with their own decision. The outcome of the appeal is final.

Whilst an appeal is being considered, the outcome of the original Investigation will be suspended. This will not include any precautionary measures that have been agreed on health and safety grounds which will stay in place.

Any questions?

Please get in touch if you have any queries for the accommodation team at Kingston University.