Moving into university halls

Moving into your student room in halls is exciting – but what should you bring with you when you make your move to university?

Halls at Kingston University are well equipped, so there is no need to pack absolutely everything. On this page you'll find details of what's provided in halls and suggestions for what to bring when you move in.

Our halls management staff will be on-hand and are always ready and willing to help. They are committed to providing you with comfortable, clean and safe accommodation. In return, we ask you to observe the conditions of your licence, which include respecting your room, flat and hall site by:

  • keeping it clean
  • reporting any concerns, accidents or maintenance issues promptly to halls management
  • leaving it in good working order and condition for future residents.

What is provided in halls?


In your bedroom you'll find:

  • a bed
  • curtains/blinds
  • fitted carpet/flooring
  • a desk
  • a chair
  • bookshelves
  • a waste-paper bin
  • a notice board.

Communal kitchen

In your communal kitchen you'll find:

  • a cooker
  • a fridge/freezer
  • a microwave
  • a kettle
  • a toaster
  • lockable cupboards (in most halls)
  • an iron and ironing board
  • a broom, dustpan and brush
  • a vacuum cleaner
  • a mop and bucket.


All study bedrooms have a networked internet connection.

Please note that the connection is for educational purposes only and some ports and services are restricted. Kingston University will support the connection itself, not your own computer.


Each hall has its own launderette on-site, including washing machines and tumble dryers which operate on a pay-per-use basis.

The price of the washing machine and the tumble dryer can differ depending on the site you're living on, so double check with your Halls Team.

Please note that change for these machines is not available at reception.

If you experience any problems with your washing, please contact reception who will try to assist you.

The last wash is at 9.30pm. Please do not leave items unattended.


Kingston University has arranged some contents insurance for you with Endsleigh, the No.1 student insurance provider. This cover does not protect laptops and phones or other items when you are outside your room. It is important for you to check this cover, so please follow the steps below to ensure you fully understand the protection provided.

Enter your policy number HH1217 at to check your policy details.

It is important to find out exactly what you are covered for, as you may find that the contents cover is not sufficient and you need to extend it to protect all your possessions, both inside and outside your room.

Starter packs

To take the hassle out of buying and transporting bedding, kitchen and bathroom items to university, you can pre-order a Student Starter Kit Pack from our friends at UniKitOut.

The pack will be pre-delivered directly to halls so it is there when you arrive.

Get 10% off when you enter promotion code KINGSTON10.

What to bring when you move into halls?

For your bedroom

You might want to bring the following items with you for your bedroom:

  • quilt/duvet
  • pillows
  • bed linen
  • bedside/desk lamp
  • coat hangers
  • drawing pins for notice board
  • fused four-way extension lead
  • alarm clock.

For your bathroom

You might want to bring the following items with you for the bathroom:

  • towels
  • shower mat
  • bathroom cleaner (spray or liquid)
  • toilet cleaner/de-scaler
  • toilet rolls
  • gel air freshener
  • personal toiletries.

For the kitchen

You might want to bring the following items with you for the kitchen:

  • saucepans
  • cutlery
  • plates and bowls
  • mugs and drinking glasses
  • washing powder
  • washing-up liquid and a dishcloth.

Remember that any electrical items you bring with you must be new or portable appliance tested.

Tabletop/mini fridges are permitted in all rooms, with maximum dimensions of 515mm high, 500mm wide, and 500mm deep. A full-size fridge (or anything larger than the dimensions stated) is not permitted in your room.

You must not use your own kettle, toaster or any other cooking equipment in your bedroom. Every kitchen is fully equipped. We will remove unauthorised items and return them at the end of term. 

If you are an international student, please remember that you must not use two-pin plugs without a suitable three-pin adapter. You can purchase these adapters in local shops. Please ask reception for advice on arrival.

Prohibited items

Items prohibited in halls, which will result in disciplinary action if found, include:

  • Animals and pets including goldfish
  • Barbeques
  • Beanbags
  • Candles or the use of any naked flame
  • Deep pan fryers
  • E Scooters
  • Fairy/Christmas tree lights
  • Firearms, including replicas
  • Fireworks
  • Hookahs/shisha pipes and E-cigarettes (only to be used outside)
  • Incense sticks
  • Inflatable chairs and beds
  • Knives over 15cm long
  • Laser pens
  • Nitrous Oxide (a.k.a. laughing gas)
  • Non-battery operated LED lights
  • Oil lamps
  • Incense sticks
  • Paintball guns
  • Portable cooking hob/stove
  • Steam/air purifiers
  • Swords
  • Unlawful drugs*
  • Water pistols

The above list is not exhaustive.

* Drugs: Kingston University has a zero-tolerance approach to illegal drugs and drug-dealing on all University premises, including halls of residence. The University works closely with the police to combat illegal drug use to ensure that students can live and study in a safe environment.

We understand however that some students may be experiencing personal difficulty with substance misuse and need support and guidance in helping them combat an addiction. Support and guidance is available from Health and Wellbeing. Students can also contact Kingston Community Drugs and Alcohol team on tel 020 8336 8911 for help and support.

TV licence

You need a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Please note 75 Penrhyn Road residents don't need to buy a TV Licence as this is included within halls fees for this site.

If you watch TV programmes on any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.

Am I covered?

Find out about TV licences for students

Kingston University does not provide cover for TV licences. You will have to buy a TV Licence for your own room if you need one. If there are TVs in communal areas, it is the responsibility of the residents together to arrange cover for the communal area.

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at university unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

Buy a TV licence

Settling in

Enjoy Res Life

Each hall has a team of Residential Life Ambassadors – a group of current students who live and work in halls and run events to support and entertain you throughout your stay.

The ambassadors help foster a community atmosphere by organising student-led and student-focused activities which will connect you with other students, so you can settle in and feel at home from the moment you arrive.

Security, health, safety and cleaning of halls

Security in halls of residence

At all our halls of residence, security staff are contactable 24/7.

Security officers patrol the site regularly, and work closely with the duty management staff to ensure students are safe at all times.

Students can report all accidents in halls, no matter how small, to reception. Hall management or security will take a full report.

No smoking policy

Smoking is banned by law in all enclosed and substantially enclosed public buildings – smoking is therefore prohibited in all bedrooms, kitchens and communal areas.

Smoking is only permitted in outdoor, uncovered areas at least 10 metres away from the buildings. This is so that non-smokers do not have to walk through areas where people are smoking.

Cleaning your room and communal areas

You will be responsible for cleaning your own bedroom.

The cleaning of the communal areas such as the kitchen and corridor, are the collective responsibility of all residents in the flat.

For most halls of residence, housekeepers will come to check the communal areas, but it is ultimately the collective responsibility of all the residents to keep the areas clean/tidy.

Getting around

Free bus service

Great news! Kingston University operates a free bus service for all students and staff across the University's sites.

The bus even stops in Kingston Town Centre, where the main shopping district is, so you'll save crucial pounds on transport.

More about our intersite bus service.

Car parking

Students in University halls of residence can apply for an electronic parking permit (expect at 75 Penrhyn Road Halls). Your permit is valid only for the halls in which you are resident. Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Students can park in areas designated for student use only, where applicable.

Please note: Due to the ongoing refurbishment program at Seething Wells, parking will no longer be available onsite. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

Visitors must also have an electronic parking permit. The resident themselves must register for an electronic parking permit from reception, not their guest.

All vehicles brought onto the University site are done so at the owner's risk. The University accepts no responsibility for accidents or damage. Please ensure that your vehicle is locked when unattended.


If you wish to bring a bicycle to University, you can park it in our secure bicycle racks or bicycle sheds. No bicycles are permitted within the flats under any circumstances. Bicycles are left at the owner's risk when on University property and should be insured.

Any questions?

Please get in touch if you have any queries for the accommodation team at Kingston University.