Search our site
Search our site

National Health Service

All UK residents are entitled to use the National Health Service free of charge. If you are an overseas student studying in the UK for six months or more, you will have the same entitlement as any other resident.

You should register with a general practitioner (GP) as soon as you can. If you will be living in Kingston, you may want to register at the Fairhill Medical Practice (the Health Centre) on the University's Penrhyn Road campus. Alternatively, visit the NHS Choices website for a list of other local GPs.

Fairhill Medical Practice

Fairhill Medical Practice provides on-site GP services during term time and at local branch surgeries during vacations. Services include medical and nursing consultations, contraceptive advice, smoking cessation, vaccinations and 48-hour prescriptions.

To register with the Fairhill Medical Practice, you need to live in a Kingston University halls of residence or within the regular NHS catchment area in accordance with NHS policy (check this with Fairhill Medical Practice or on the NHS Choices website).

Visit the Fairhill Medical Practice website.

Sexual health clinic

Unfortunately there will no longer be a Sexual Health Clinic at the GP Surgery. Students will still be able to book appointments with us for a sexual health screening. 


Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): the number of measles cases in England is rising; to reduce the risk of outbreaks, the Department of Health recommends that students coming to University have two doses of the MMR vaccine.

If possible, you should bring details of when you had any MMR immunisations when you enrol at the University. If you have not had two doses of MMR, please discuss this with your GP. You'll also be able to discuss it with someone from the Health Centre when you arrive so don't worry if you are not sure what you need.

For more information, download the NHS Measles leaflet (PDF).

Meningitis and Septicaemia: If you left school or college in the UK this summer, you should already have been offered the meningococcal C vaccine. If so, you do not need another dose.

If you have not already been offered the vaccine, please talk to your GP about it before you start University (or as soon as possible afterwards). You'll also be able to discuss this with someone from the Health Centre when you arrive so don't worry if you are not sure what you need.

For more information, visit visit Men ACWY vaccine or download the NHS meningitis leaflet (PDF).

Ebola: Advice and risk assessment

The message from governments and national and international health authorities is that the Ebola virus outbreak remains low risk but potentially high consequence.

While the risk is still very low, students should nonetheless ensure that they have either registered with the University GP Surgery; Fairhill Medical Practice, or are registered with a local GP and if they show symptoms of fever (pale skin, sweating or shivering), diarrhoea and vomiting they should contact their doctor or NHS 24 (on 111 by phone).

The UK government is closely monitoring the spread of the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. Ebola haemorrhagic fever is a rare but severe, usually fatal disease caused by the Ebola virus. It is highly transmissible by direct contact with organs or bodily fluids of living or dead infected persons and animals. For people living outside Africa it is a very low threat, there have been no imported cases to the UK and experts believe even if the virus did arrive in the UK it would be very unlikely to spread.

Guidance has been issued to NHS staff and University services department staff on how to comprehensively assess and safely manage any suspected cases.

More information is available at NHS Choices.

Travellers to Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea will find useful information on the WHO web site and on the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Contact us

Student Wellbeing Group:
Health and Wellbeing

Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 2204
Email us