Skip to main content
I obtained my Pharmacy degree in 2014 and went on to subsequently complete my PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, as part of the Drug Delivery group, from King's College London. My PhD focused on drug delivery to the lungs and developing dissolution tests for orally inhaled products.
I worked as an Assistant Professor for a year at the Lebanese American University, Byblos, Lebanon. I am now appointed as Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Sciences at Kingston University.
Lecturer in Pharmaceutical Sciences
I am passionate about teaching in higher education and meeting Kingston University Teaching Excellence Framework. I teach several undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
I am currently working towards achieving a Fellowship award of Advance HE. My ultimate goal is to establish a strong and successful career in academia and become a valued university-level Professor.
My research interests are focused on developing products to be delivered via the inhaled route, and potentially reformulating or optimising drug formulations that are currently available on the market, to be made more efficacious for the treatment of respiratory diseases.
My PhD focused on developing orally inhaled products for the treatment of Asthma and COPD. I carried out in-vitro investigations predominantly, and developed dissolution methodologies for the purposes of quality control and assessing inhalation biopharmaceutics as well as for the development of a potential in vitro-in vivo correlation tool.
My published scientific articles are listed below:
1. Hassoun M, Malmlöf M, Scheibelhofer O, Kumar A, Bansal S, Selg E, Nowenwik M, Gerde P, Radivojev S, Paudel A, Arora S, Forbes B. Use of PBPK modelling to evaluate the performance of DissolvIt, a biorelevant dissolution assay for orally inhaled drug products. Molecular Pharmaceutics: A-J (2019)
2. Hassoun M, Royall P.G, Parry M, Harvey R.D, Forbes B. Design and development of a biorelevant simulated human lung fluid. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 47: 485-491 (2018)
3. Kumar A, Terakosolphan W, Hassoun M, Vandera K, Novicky A, Harvey R, Royall P.G., Bicer E.M., Eriksson J, Edwards K, Valkenborg D, Nelissen I, Hassall D, Mudway I.S, Forbes B. A biocompatible synthetic lung fluid based on human respiratory tract lining fluid composition. Pharm Res 34(12): 2454-2465 (2017)
4. Hassoun M, Ho S, Muddle J, Buttini F, Parry M, Hammond M, Forbes B. Formulating powder-device combinations for salmeterol xinafoate dry powder inhalers. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 490: 360-367 (2015)
5. Jawad R, Drake A.F, Elleman C, Martin G.P, Warren F.J, Perston B.B, Ellis P.R, Hassoun M, Royall P.G. The stability of sugar solutions: A novel study of the epimerisation kinetics of lactose in water. Molecular Pharmaceutics 11(7): 2224-2238 (2014)