Support for estranged students

StandAlone Pledge - Supporting estranged students

An estranged student is aged 25 and under when they enrol onto an undergraduate degree programme at the University. They have experienced a permanent breakdown in their relationship with their parents, for a significant period of time (this would usually be for a minimum of 12 months). This definition includes students who may have been living in foyer or hostel accommodation, have been disowned, or if both parents are deceased.

Financial support

Estranged students who enrol at Kingston University and have been assessed as a 'home' student for fee purposes are eligible to receive a non-repayable KU Cares bursary of £1,500 per progressive year of study, as well as priority for the Kingston Bursary if all of the criteria are met.


Estranged Students are given priority for a place in halls and access to 365-day accommodation where available. We can also provide guidance if you wish to live in private accommodation and signpost you to appropriate services for comprehensive housing advice.

Graduation and outduction

We support estranged students at graduation, by providing free gown hire, a photography package and 2 guest tickets. We  award a £1,000 graduation bursary upon successful completion of your degree and following an 'outduction' meeting with the KU Cares team.

Verification and eligibility

To be eligible for support as an estranged student, you will need to be:

  • 25 or under at the time of enrolment
  • Assessed as a ‘home' student by the university
  • Enrolled on an undergraduate course or a PGCE
  • Eligible for the full maintenance loan from Student Finance

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will need to provide us with evidence that you have been estranged from both parents for a significant amount of time. This evidence can be in the form of a letter from a professional person that can confirm that you have no contact with your family, e.g., a teacher, lawyer, doctor, counsellor/therapist, or support worker. We also accept evidence that you have been assessed as an estranged student for Student Finance purposes.

How do I apply for support?

  • Email with your evidence or any questions you have and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Specialist support for estranged students

Our dedicated and experienced KU Cares team will be able to support you throughout your student journey, from application and enrolment to graduation. As well as a designated member of staff, the KU Cares team will be your advocate at university and within your external support network. We also signpost students to other opportunities to earn money and enhance your CV: