Kingston University has four fee-remitted Sanctuary Scholarships available each academic year for Asylum Seeking applicants with no access to Student Finance England. This is in support of STAR's Equal Access Campaign which aims to create scholarship pathways to provide higher education to refugees and asylum seekers who have fled persecution and sought asylum in the UK.
Awards for students seeking sanctuary
We currently offer:
- Four full fee-remitted places each year to successful undergraduate applicants;
- An annual £5,000 bursary to support students with living costs; and
- A place on our KU Cares Scheme, which includes a designated member of staff to provide support, guidance and opportunities throughout your studies.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You are an asylum seeker or the partner / dependant of an asylum seeker; or
- You have been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR) or some other form of temporary status as a result of an asylum or human rights application and demonstrate that you have been assessed as ineligible to apply for Student Finance;
- Important: You must have submitted an application to study at Kingston University for the forthcoming academic year before your Sanctuary award application can be considered.
Applications for September 2021 entry are now closed.
Applications for September 2022 entry will open in January 2022.
Read more information about similar awards offered by other universities.