Kingston University can trace its history back to 1899, when Kingston Institute of Technology was founded A number of predecessor bodies have gone into forming the university we know today. Our Kingston University collections reflect and illustrate this history:
Gipsy Hill Teacher Training College was founded in South London in 1917, to train teachers for Kindergarten age children. After being evacuated during the Second World War, the College moved to Kingston Hill in 1946. It became part of Kingston Polytechnic in 1975.
The collection holds a range of material reflecting the College and the life of its first principal, Lilian de Lissa. Records include correspondence, meeting minutes, newsletters and prospectuses, financial records, photographs and other memorabilia.
Founded in 1899, Kingston Technical Institute was the first body for higher education established in Kingston, teaching a range of subjects with a focus on science and arts and design. The arts and design branch became a separate institution in 1930, with Kingston College of Technology (as it was renamed) continuing until 1970, when the two institutions once again merged to become Kingston Polytechnic.
Our collections hold a range of material related to Kingston Technical Institute/College of Technology. This includes prospectuses, course guides, staff calendars, and press cutting volumes. Photographs are held in the Kingston University Photographs Collection.
Although art classes were originally part of Kingston Technical Institute, the art school became a separate institution in 1930, and moved to Knights Park in 1939. During its 40 years, the school grew in reputation and became known for its teaching in fashion, architecture and illustration. In 1970 it merged once again with Kingston College of Technology to form Kingston Polytechnic.
Our collections for Kingston School of Art / College of Art include prospectuses and course guides, correspondence, press cuttings, and leaflets and posters for exhibitions and fashion shows.
Kingston Polytechnic was formed in 1970 by the merger of Kingston College of Technology and Kingston School of Art. Gipsy Hill Teacher Training College then joined in 1975. In 1992 Kingston Polytechnic became Kingston University.
We hold a range of material relating to Kingston Polytechnic and Kingston University, including press cuttings, prospectuses, strategy documents, and other publications such as newsletters and magazines. Photographs are held as part of the Kingston University Photographs Collection.
The activities of our students are also reflected in the collections, including items relating to Kingston Polytechnic's Rams Rugby Club presented by John Shepherd, and records of the Kingston Polytechnic Geological Society.
The archive holds photographs depicting Kingston University and its predecessor bodies Kingston Technical Institute, Kingston School of Art, Gipsy Hill Teacher Training College and Kingston Polytechnic. The images depict a range of subjects such as special events, campuses and buildings, classes, student activities and displays and exhibitions.
Images from our photograph collection can be seen at our Kingston University Archives Digital Collections website. We are keen to add to our holdings of University history related photographs, if you have any images of the University and its predecessor bodies do please contact us.