Information for students who are parents

Studying for a degree while managing your responsibilities as a parent (including being a foster parent, special guardian, or kinship carer) can be challenging. But there is lots of advice and support you can access as a student, from your point of application through to your graduation.

If you are, or become, pregnant during your studies at Kingston, you can find out more about the support you can access in our Student Pregnancy, Maternity, and Becoming a Parent Policy.

Before you start

Head Start

Our Head Start programme can help you prepare for life as an undergraduate student and feel more confident about starting University. Events are held over one day or three days, so you can pick the option that works best for you and your responsibilities.


We understand that knowing your timetable is important to help you plan for childcare. Students new to the University will be able to access their timetables from Welcome Week. Students who are continuing their studies can access their timetables from August.

If you have questions about the number of hours you will be expected to be on campus or in class, you should speak to your course leader.

Visiting us

Open Days can help you decide if Kingston is the right place for you. We understand that childcare could be difficult to arrange for these events, and you are welcome to bring your children when you visit us for Open Days.

Welcome Week

Welcome Week is the start of helping you get settled into life at Kingston. You will attend a range of course induction sessions, and activities to help you meet new people. Welcome Week schedules are normally available from July, so you can plan for childcare.

Practical support

Bursaries and Additional Funds

Money can be a huge source of anxiety for many students. We offer a number of bursaries for students (please note that additional eligibility criteria will apply).

Students on an NHS course may also be eligible for additional funding through the NHS Bursaries scheme, and students studying social work may be eligible for a social work bursary.

For students experiencing financial difficulties, there are additional funds available to support you during your studies.


Information about different types of early education and childcare providers in the local area (Kingston and Richmond) can be found on the Achieving for Children website. You can also search local early education and childcare settings on the Childcare search.

Household Support Fund

Students who live in the borough of Kingston upon Thames may be able to access additional funding through the Household Support Fund. For more information about the eligibility criteria, please visit the Kingston Council website.

If you live outside the borough, you should check your local council's website for information about support in your area.


We are currently unable to offer rooms for students with children in halls of residence. However all students can access advice around private renting, living at home and commuting to the University.

Money and Housing Advice

Kingston University has a team of dedicated advisers who can support you with queries and issues around money and housing. You can contact them by emailing

Student Finance

Students who are able to access funding from Student Finance and who have children may be able to access additional funding through the Childcare Grant and Parents' Learning Allowance.

If you are accessing Universal Credit, or other benefits, becoming a full-time student may impact what you are eligible for. You must notify the Department of Work and Pensions if you are starting a university degree, to make sure you are paid the correct amount.

The charity Turn2us has a helpful guide to students' eligibility for benefits.

Supporting you


University can be challenging for a whole range of reasons. The Counselling and Wellbeing Team offers a range of services to help support your wellbeing.

Disability and Mental Health Support

If you have a disability, health condition, mental health condition, or Specific Learning Difference (such as dyslexia), you may be able to access additional support through the University's Disability and Mental Health Team.

The team can advise on a range of issues including Disabled Students Allowance, reasonable adjustments, and specialist software requirements.

Union of Kingston Students

The Union of Kingston Students is run by students, for students. It runs clubs and societies, events and an advice service.

Sports and Active Lifestyles

Our Sports and Active Lifestyles Team creates opportunities for students to improve their health and wellbeing through fitness. It offers a range of facilities and recreational sport activities which can fit around your studies and caring responsibilities.

The u GO i GO scheme recognises that trying something new can be quite daunting, and can link you with a buddy to provide extra support and the confidence to get started. To find out more, contact the team.

Supporting your development

Careers and employability

Our dedicated Careers and Employability Service can help you prepare for life after you graduate. Whether it's working on your CV, securing work experience, learning how to talk to employers about any family responsibilities and flexible working or applying for graduate roles, the team can support you.

Beyond Barriers

Beyond Barriers offers you the opportunity to be matched with a professional mentor to help you develop your skills, realise your ambitions, and achieve your goals.

KU Extra

University is about so much more than your degree. KU Extra is the platform where you can sign up to extra-curricular activities and events, these are wide ranging and flexible so you can engage around your parenting responsibilities.

Paid work

Many students will work part-time alongside their studies where possible. As well as giving you a bit of extra cash, part-time work can really boost your CV.

There are a number of flexible part-time work opportunities offered through the University such as becoming a Student Ambassador. Most opportunities are promoted on The University's Careers and Employability platform Handshake.

Academic support

If you are experiencing unexpected or difficult circumstances that are impacting your studies, you may want to consider applying for mitigating circumstances or an extension for assessments.

To find out more, view our mitigating circumstances process.

There is also a range of support to help you with academic skills that will help you succeed on your course. Each faculty has a dedicated Academic Success Centre, and there are a variety of initiatives you can access.

Advice for parents of children with additional needs

Caring for a child who has additional needs can be demanding, but it's important to know there is support out there for you. In addition to all the services and support outlined on this webpage, you might find the following services helpful.

Carers Networks are based in local communities and can support people who have unpaid caring responsibilities for someone with additional needs. They can offer advice and support around your caring responsibilities. The Carers Trust can help you find a network local to you.

Carers UK Helpline offers free advice to unpaid carers on 0808 808 7777. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm. You can also email or visit the Carers UK website.

KU Cares supports UK undergraduate students who are 25 and under when they start their course, and who have unpaid caring responsibilities with a disability, long-term or terminal illness, or mental health condition. To find out more, visit the KU Cares webpage.

Advice for international students

If you are an international student, having a child may impact your visa and there may be other implications. It's important that you get the right advice and contact the International Student Office for guidance.