The Board of Governors is responsible for the strategic direction of the University, including:
- determining its educational character and mission;
- overseeing its financial viability; and
- making key policy decisions about the running of the University.
The Vice-Chancellor and his team then implement these decisions.
Board members are expected to act in accordance with an agreed Code of Conduct which includes abiding by the seven principles of public life as identified in the Government's Nolan Report: Selflessness, Integrity, Objectivity, Accountability, Openness, Honesty and Leadership.
The Board is supported by the University Clerk, Andrew Boggs, and the Corporate Governance and Committees Unit.
- (PDF) details the Board's work
- Articles of Government (PDF) sets out the responsibilities of the Board, Vice-Chancellor and Senate, as approved by the Privy Council
- Scheme of Delegation (PDF) outlines the authority for the University's major organisational responsibilities.
- Code of Conduct (PDF) for members of the Board: Guidance on standards of behaviour, conduct and accountability.
Who is on the Board?
There are 17 members of the Board of Governors.
- 10 independent members
- Two co-opted members
- Two academic nominees
- One non-teaching staff nominee
- One student nominee
- The Vice-Chancellor
View the Board of Governor's Terms of reference (PDF) and the minutes of the Board of Governor's meetings.
How does the Board make decisions?
The Board acts on its own and through its five committees, each of which includes at least three Board members:
2020/21 Board of Governors and Sub-Committee dates
- Wednesday 16 September, 9–11am, Nominations and Governance Committee
- Wednesday 23 September, 9–11am, Academic Governance Committee
- Wednesday 30 September, 9am–1pm, Board of Governors
- Thursday 8 October, 9–11am, Audit & Risk Assurance Committee
- Monday 2 November, 9–11am, Academic Governance Committee
- Wednesday 4 November, 9am–12 noon, Audit & Risk Assurance Committee
- Wednesday 11 November, 9–11am, Remuneration Committee
- Tuesday 17 November, 9–11am, Finance Committee
- Wednesday 25 November, 9am–12 noon, Board of Governors
- Tuesday 26 January, 9–10am, Audit & Risk Assurance Committee
- Wednesday 10 February, 9am–12 noon, Board of Governors
- Wednesday 24 February, 9–10am, Finance Committee
- Monday 1 March, 10–11am, Nominations & Governance Committee*
- Wednesday 3 March, 9–11am, Academic Governance Committee
- Wednesday 10 March 10–11:30am, Board of Governors*
- Wednesday 24 March, 9–11am, Audit & Risk Assurance Committee
- Wednesday 21 April, 9–11am, Finance Committee
- Wednesday 5 May, 9am–12noon, Board of Governors
- Tuesday 18 May, 9–11am, Remuneration Committee
- Tuesday 18 May, 11.15am–1.15pm, Nominations & Governance Committee
- Wednesday 26 May, 9–11am, Audit & Risk Assurance Committee
- Thursday 10 June, 9–11am, Finance Committee
- Wednesday 23 June, 9–11am, Academic Governance Committee
- Wednesday 30 June, 3–6pm, Board of Governors
* Denotes an extraordinary meeting scheduled