Search our site
Search our site

Noise and anti-social behaviour from privately-managed student households

Where to complain

If you experience persistent noise problems with student households which are privately rented (not halls of residence or university-managed properties), while the University has no legal power to intervene we can investigate the complaint and if appropriate, take further action. It is important however that you follow this up as soon as any problems arise and you are advised to take the following steps:

  • 1. Speak to your student neighbours directly and explain the impact the noise is having on you. Try to come to an agreement or compromise on managing the situation.
  • 2. If the problem continues, you should contact the landlord or letting agent responsible for managing the property. They will have a contract with the resident/s and can act on breaches of the tenancy agreement such as noise nuisance. They may also contact the resident/s' guarantors, which could be their parents.

You can also contact the University, who will investigate your complaint and the conduct of the student, via our online form.

We can also, if appropriate and agreeable to both parties, offer a mediation service for long-standing disputes which have not been resolved at an earlier opportunity. Please contact the University using the form above for further information.

  • 3. If contacting the landlord or letting agent does not improve matters, then you should contact the Council's environmental health department. This is the statutory authority for dealing with noisy neighbours. You can contact Kingston Council's Environmental Health department on 020 8547 5002 or by visiting their Environmental Health website.
  • 4. If the disturbance is particularly serious, or you are experiencing anti-social behaviour, you should call the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team on 0300 123 1212, or call 999 if there is a health and safety risk.

How we can help

If the noise is coming from a property owned and managed by a private landlord or agent, whilst the University has no legal right to intervene we can  investigate the complaint and if appropriate take further action. Please contact us using the online form.

If you are unsure whether a property is managed by the University please contact our Headed Tenancy Department on 020 8417 7311 or email

Contact us

Kingston University
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 9000