Search our site
Search our site

Funding information for undergraduate courses at Kingston University

You probably have lots of questions about exactly how your finances will work once you are studying at Kingston University. 

Find out about:

We also have some extra funding information for:

Kingston University also offers bursaries – find out more.

Advice and guidance

Don't forget to check out our tips and advice for managing your money and read about how to pay your fees.

Funding for part-time students (England, Wales and the EU)

Part-time students who have not studied at university level before will be able to apply for a tuition loan. The maximum loan that is available in 2017/18 is £6,935.

Note: if you are repeating modules from your full-time course and applying for a student loan, you are still considered as a full-time student for this purpose. You are repeating modules from a full-time course and you should therefore apply as a full-time student.

Living costs for part-time students (England and Wales only)

Part-time students are not entitled to maintenance loans and grants.

State benefits for part-time students

Your entitlement to benefits is not affected when you're studying on a part-time course (NB: this does not apply if you're repeating part of a full-time course on a part-time basis). For more information please contact a Student Life Adviser.

Find out more

Funding for international students

International students are not eligible for loans or grants from the British Government. You must arrange funding for your course before you arrive. This is because you'll only be granted a visa to enter the UK if you can prove that you have enough money to support yourself during your time studying here.

Scholarships and awards

Kingston University offers a number of scholarships for international students, plus bursaries for alumni and their families.

The British Government offers a limited number of awards to international students through the British Council.

  • US students can apply for US government financial aid and private loans.
  • Canadian students can apply for loans through the Canada Student Loan Scheme, or through the Province.

Disabled students

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

You can apply for a Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) before you start your course. Student Finance England (or equivalent) can give you more details. If you're a part-time student and are attending at least 50% of the full-time course, you can apply for a pro-rata DSA.

Read more about the DSA and how to apply.

Then what happens?

Student Finance England will arrange a disability assessment to identify the help you need. It will then allocate money for each area that you're having financial difficulties with. The help is divided into three separate areas:

  • Equipment allowance: up to £5,358 in total for the course;
  • Non-medical helpers allowance: up to £21,305 each year
  • Other disability-related costs: up to £1,790 each year

The Student Loans Company will make DSA payments either into your bank account or directly to the supplier of the equipment/services you need. If you are recommended computer equipment, the University will be able to assist with the £200 contribution you need to pay. Make sure that you keep your receipt so we can reimburse you once you have enrolled on your course.

Students with dependents

You apply for the following at the same time as applying for your tuition fee and maintenance loans:

  • Adult Dependants Grant: up to £2,834
  • Parents Learning Allowance: up to £1,617
  • Childcare Grant: up to £273.60 per week for two or more children

If you're not already receiving them, you apply for Tax Credits through HM Revenue & Customs.

Student finance for courses starting in 2017

Check the course pages for information relevant to the course you want to apply for/have applied for.

When will I have to pay the fees?

Eligible students who are studying for their first undergraduate degree will not have to pay these fees up front. A loan is available from the Government to cover the cost of tuition so you don't have to find the money to pay your tuition costs before or while you are studying. You won't have to start repaying the loan until you are earning more than £21,000 a year.

The loan is also available to European Union students and part-time students studying at least 25% (30 credits) per year. However, if you already hold an honours degree, or another qualification at the same level, you will not qualify for this loan.

What would I be eligible for to cover my living expenses?

There will be a loan for living costs to help with expenses such as accommodation, travel, books and course materials and food. There are three different rates of loan:

  • Up to £11,002 if you live away from home and study at a university in London, such as Kingston.
  • Up to £7,097 if you live with your parents while studying.
  • Up to £8,430 if you live away from home and your course is not based in Greater London.

You can find more information about loans and how to apply at Student Finance England.

Are there any bursaries or fee waivers available?

Read more about our bursaries.

When do I have to pay back my loans?

The earnings threshold at which student loans become repayable is £21,000 per year. You become liable to start repaying the loans after the April after you complete your course. If you earn less than £21,000 you will not be liable to make any repayments.

Once you are required to make repayments, you will pay 9% of the earnings above £21,000 – so a graduate earning £25,000 per year will be liable to pay £360 over the year, or £30 a month. The rate of interest charged on the loans when they are being repaid will also increase as graduate earnings increase. A graduate earning less than the repayment threshold of £21,000 will be charged interest equivalent to the rate of inflation. Graduates with a higher income will be charged a higher rate of interest on a sliding scale, up to a maximum level of inflation plus 3%. Loans are repaid over a maximum period of 30 years.

I already hold an honours degree and want to do another one, can I get another student loan?

You will be liable to pay the same level of tuition fees but you will not qualify for loans for either fees or living costs or for a Kingston Bursary.

I am from Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Is my funding different?

All eligible students will be able to apply for a tuition fee loan but the package of student finance for living costs does differ if you are from another part of the UK. Please visit the relevant website for more information:

I am an EU student intending to study in England – what financial support is available to me?

EU students from outside the UK that meet certain eligibility criteria will be able to apply for the loan for tuition fees. Most EU students will not be entitled to support for their living costs. Contact the Student Finance England European Team for more information.

Updated 11 January 2017

Contact us

Student Life Advisers
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7312

Contact us

Student Life Advisers
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7312

Find a course

Course finder


Find us on Facebook

Undergraduate study
Site menu