Search our site
Search our site

Self-funding students

You may have to cover the cost of your tuition fees privately, as well as making full provisions for your living costs.

Possible sources of funding open to you as a self-funding student are as follows:


If you have savings you could use those to help fund your postgraduate study.

Trusts and charities

A limited number of educational trusts and charities offer some assistance to home self-funding students. You should apply for funding the year before your course is due to start. A good place to start is the Educational Grants Programme who have an online search facility. If you meet the eligibility criteria of any of their trusts, you will be able to complete an application form.


A limited number of courses offer studentships through one of the six Research Councils or the Arts and Humanities Research Board.

British Council Awards

The British Council offers a number of awards for international students studying in the UK. Details can be obtained from the nearest regional office in your country of residence.

Find out more by visiting the British Council website.

Future Finance loans

Future Finance offer prospective students the opportunity to apply for a loan. Future Finance loans are:

  • Offered to all Kingston University students with a UK home address (assuming they meet appropriate credit checks and are 18 or over), irrelevant of the level of study.
  • Available from £2,000 to £40,000. This money can be used for living costs as well as tuition fees.
  • Repayable up to 10 years and three months after graduation.
  • Flexible as you can apply for up to four payment breaks of three months each during the loan period.
  • For more information and the best rates please visit the Future Finance website.

Further details of eligibility requirements, interest rates and other key terms of the loan are available by visiting the Future Finance website.

Please be aware that Kingston University does not offer financial advice or any recommendation or endorsement of any Future Finance product. You should always check the suitability of the product that is of interest to you. If you are in any doubt we suggest that you seek independent financial advice before applying for any loan or financial support.

Student Support Funds

Full- and part-time UK and EU postgraduate students can apply for additional help from Kingston University's Student Support Funds. Awards are means-tested and you will need to provide evidence of how you will support yourself. As a general rule, you will be expected to have secured the majority of your funding before you can apply for additional funds.

Professional and Career Development Loans

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered learning provider, registration number 9527.

Professional and Career Development Loans (PCDL) are government-supported loans which can be used for study on postgraduate courses which provide vocational skills and training (it doesn't have to lead to a qualification). The key difference to other postgraduate loans is that you have to be a UK resident for the last 3+ years before the course starts.

Professional and Career Development loans – key facts*

A bank loan of between £300 and £10,000 for students and professionals to study on career-advancing postgraduate courses or to gain work related training. Available for full time, part time and distance learning programmes.

How much?

£300£10,000** (paid in up to four equal instalments). The bank pays the course fees directly to the learning provider and funds for other learning-related costs and/or living costs are paid directly to the student.***

Who? Students must have lived in England for 3+ years and be planning to use their qualification or training to work in the UK, EU or EEA after graduation.
Where? Any UK institution which is on the learning providers list. Kingston University's registration number is 9527. Courses must be 2 years or 3 years with 1 year work experience.

You can apply up to 2 months before the start of your course and the application process takes around 4 weeks.


9.9% APR****


The loans are offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays the interest while you are studying. Repayments have stricter conditions and start one month after course completion. They can be paid over 15 years or in one lump sum.


Applicants must be over 18 and not have savings over £16,000.

You can't get Professional and Career Development Loans for first full-time degrees but you can apply for student finance.

Note: you still have to repay the loan if you don't complete the course.
How to apply?

You can apply online through the Government website. The Co-operative Bank is currently the only provider of this loan.

If your application is successful, the bank will release the funds when the learning provider has confirmed you've started your course.

* This information is for guidance purposes and may be subject to change.

** Universities and colleges can charge different fees for postgraduate courses and this is not set by the Government.

*** It is important to discuss your individual circumstances with the bank so you understand how this will work.

**** Annual Percentage Rate (APR) - the interest rate calculated across the lifetime of your agreement including any fees (total cost of credit). This rate is subject to change. 

For further information or if you have queries about financial support for postgraduate students, please email

Useful information

Contact us

Student Life Centre: Student Funds
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7315

Contact us

Student Life Centre: Student Funds
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 7315

Find a course

Course finder

Postgraduate students at the Business School
Postgraduate study
Site menu