Skip to main content
I obtained my PhD from Kingston University London in 2013 where I investigated the effects and potential targets of the natural product, resveratrol and its metabolites on colorectal cancer growth. My postdoctoral work was conducted in the Edith Sim laboratory at Kingston University investigating the potential of the mycobacterial enzyme HsaD as a novel target for anti-tubercular agents.
Since becoming a lecturer in 2015, I have continued to maintain a research profile and have set up both internal and external collaborations. I am also keen in continuing to develop my teaching skills whilst also being involved in public engagement and outreach/widening participation. I have co-organised and run the pilot National Science and Engineering Saturday Club (led by Prof. Edith Sim) in association with the Sorrel Foundation and am currently the co-organiser of Cafe Scientifique Kingston.
Senior Lecturer in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
1) PhD: Investigating the involvement of FGFR signalling in human cervical cancer cell lines. Research Student: Hiba Mahmood. Supervisory Team: Dr Athina-Myrto Chioni, Prof Tony Walker & Dr Elena Polycarpou.
2) MSc by Research: Avnish Verma. Supervisory Team: Dr Brian Rooney, Dr Elena Polycarpou & Dr Jason Bennett.
Current Research Students:
1) MSc by Research: Studying the metabolism of Tartazine by the gut microbiota. Research Student: Gemma Hoynes. Supervisory Team: Dr Elena Polycarpou, Dr Elizabeth Opara and Dr Ali Ryan
2) PhD: Smart nano-capsules for targeted anti-cancer drug delivery. Research Student: Anna Caprifico. Supervisory Team: Dr Gianpiero Calabrese, Dr Elena Polycarpou & Prof Peter Foot.
3) PhD: The role of cannabinoids and synthetic cannabinoids as a mediator of actin cytoskeletal rearrangement and matrix protein deposition in cardiac cells. Research Student: Ayse Merve Orme. Supervisory Team: Dr Brian Rooney, Dr Elena Polycarpou, Dr Jason Bennett & Dr Scott Lawton.
4) PhD: Screening and evaluating the effect of pharmaceutical excipients on the pharmacokinetics of therapeutic agents. Research Student: Rahulkumar Patel. Supervisory Team: Dr Amr Elshaer, Dr Elena Polycarpou & Dr James Barker.
5) PhD: Profiling wild-type and FGFR inhibitor drug resistant cervical cancer cell lines. Research Student: Nauf Bou Antoun. Supervisory Team: Dr Athina-Myrto Chioni, Prof Tony Walker & Dr Elena Polycarpou.
Verma, Avnish, Orme Merve, Ayse, Remeskevicius, Vytautas, Sobiecka, Pola, Taylor, Luke, Lawton, Scott, Jones, Ben P., Polycarpou, Elena, Bennett, Jason and Rooney, Brian (2021) Cocaine induces cytoskeletal changes in cardiac myocytes : implications for cardiac morphology. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22(5), p. 2263. ISSN (print) 1661-6596
Caprifico, Anna E., Foot, Peter J.S., Polycarpou, Elena and Calabrese, Gianpiero (2020) Overcoming the blood-brain barrier : functionalised chitosan nanocarriers. Pharmaceutics, 12(11), p. 1013. ISSN (online) 1999-4923
Caprifico, Anna E., Polycarpou, Elena, Foot, Peter J. S. and Calabrese, Gianpiero (2020) Biomedical and pharmacological uses of fluorescein isothiocyanate chitosan-based nanocarriers. Macromolecular Bioscience, ISSN (print) 1616-5187 (Epub Ahead of Print)
Caprifico, Anna E., Polycarpou, Elena, Foot, Peter J. S. and Calabrese, Gianpiero (2020) Fluorescein isothiocyanate chitosan nanoparticles in oral drug delivery studies. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, 41(10), pp. 686-689. ISSN (print) 0165-6147
Amer, Sandra Sherif, Nasr, Maha, Abdel-Aziz, Rasha T.A., Moftah, Noha H., Elshaer, Amr, Polycarpou, Elena, Mamdouh, Wael and Sammour, Omaima (2020) Cosm-nutraceutical nanovesicles for acne treatment : physicochemical characterization and exploratory clinical experimentation. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 577, p. 119092. ISSN (print) 0378-5173
Verma, Avnish, Bennett, Jason, Orme, Ayse Merve, Polycarpou, Elena and Rooney, Brian (2019) Cocaine addicted to cytoskeletal change and a fibrosis high. Cytoskeleton, 76(2), pp. 177-185. ISSN (print) 1949-3584
Hassanin, Hany, Al-Kinani, Ali, ElShaer, Amr, Polycarpou, Elena, El-Sayed, Mahmoud Ahmed and Essa, Khamis (2017) Stainless steel with tailored porosity using canister-free hot isostatic pressing for improved osseointegration implants. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 5(47), pp. 9384-9394. ISSN (print) 2050-750X
Ryan, Ali, Polycarpou, Elena, Lack, Nathan A., Evangelopoulos, Dimitrios, Sieg, Christian, Halman, Alice, Bhakta, Sanjib, Eleftheriadou, Olga, McHugh, Timothy D., Keany, Sebastian, Lowe, Edward D., Ballet, Romain, Abuhammad, Areej, Jacobs Jr., William R., Ciulli, Alessio and Sim, Edith (2017) Investigation of the mycobacterial enzyme HsaD as a potential novel target for anti-tubercular agents using a fragment-based drug design approach. British Journal of Pharmacology, 174(14), pp. 2209-2224. ISSN (print) 0007-1188
Crescente, Vincenzo, Holland, Sinead M., Kashyap, Sapna, Polycarpou, Elena, Sim, Edith and Ryan, Ali (2016) Identification of novel members of the bacterial azoreductase family in 'Pseudomonas aeruginosa'. Biochemical Journal, 473(5), pp. 549-558. ISSN (print) 0264-6021
Ryan, Ali, Kaplan, Elise, Nebel, Jean-Christophe, Polycarpou, Elena, Crescente, Vincenzo, Lowe, Edward, Preston, Gail M and Sim, Edith (2014) Identification of NAD(P)H Quinone Oxidoreductase Activity in Azoreductases from P. aeruginosa: Azoreductases and NAD(P)H Quinone Oxidoreductases Belong to the Same FMN-Dependent Superfamily of Enzymes. PloS ONE, 9(6), e98551. ISSN (online) 1932-6203
Polycarpou, Elena, Meira, Lisiane B, Carrington, Simon, Tyrrell, Elizabeth, Modjtahedi, Helmout and Carew, Mark A (2013) Resveratrol 3-O-d-glucuronide and resveratrol 4'-O-d-glucuronide inhibit colon cancer cell growth: Evidence for a role of A3 adenosine receptors, cyclin D1 depletion, and G1 cell cycle arrest. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 57(10), pp. 1708-1717. ISSN (print) 1613-4125
Deputy Course Leader for BSc (Honours) Biochemistry - 2018- present
Module Leader LS4003 Scientific and Laboratory Skills - 2016- 2020
Module Leader LS5002 Proteins and Metabolism- 2020-