There are always interesting activities taking place at Kingston and exciting opportunities to take advantage of. Here are some examples of what you could be involved with if you study this course.
The Journalism department holds lunchtime lectures every Wednesday, delivered by accomplished professionals in their fields. Recent guest speakers include:
- Bruno Bayley – Editor of Vice magazine UK, a youth-oriented publication with edge.
- Richard James @RichJamesUK – UK News Editor of BuzzFeed, the hugely popular news and entertainment site with a global audience of some 150 million. Richard, formerly Deputy Online Editor at Metro, will talk about how to create news people want to engage with and share.
- David Lindsell @SWLondonWebEd – Web editor for 10 Newsquest local websites including the Surrey Comet and Richmond and Twickenham Times. David will ask whether the internet is killing off local/regional journalism as we know it and discuss what tools journalists need in a digital newsroom.
- Hannah Gale @HannahFGale – Freelance fashion and lifestyle journalist and blogger, who has worked online for Metro, LOOK, Marie Claire and InStyle. Hannah, a Kingston journalism graduate, will talk about how important it is for journalists to develop their own brand.
- Michelle Hather @mhather – Deputy Editor at Good Housekeeping. A former editor of Best magazine, Michelle is also a former Kingston University lecturer and a magazine columnist. She began her career working on the Liverpool Daily Post then became chief sub on the Sunday People. Michelle will suggest 10 ways to make your mark in journalism – especially magazine journalism, including some of the weird things you get to do along the way.
- Ollie Gillman @Ollie_Gillman – Kingston journalism graduate Ollie Gillman earned a coveted place on the Daily Mail trainee programme and has worked around the country covering local and national issues as well as sport and entertainment.
- William Fairman @ChillFairman – VICE's supervising producer. VICE is an international news organisation "created by and for a connected generation." It prides itself on covering under-reported stories. William will talk about online documentary making, VICE's original editorial style and the organisation's evolution from magazine to digital first media publisher.
- Vanessa Baffoe @VanessaBaffoe – Vanessa helped launch LondonLive, the local news channel for London set up by the Evening Standard. She is a video maker, a TV presenter and a producer who previously worked for ITV's Tyne Tees and Border news. Vanessa was one of Kingston journalism's first graduates.
- Simon Hattenstone @shattenstone – Award winning Guardian writer Simon Hattenstone on the craft of feature writing and interviewing.
- John Crowley @mrjohncrowley – John, who is Digital Editor at the Wall Street Journal, looks at technological innovation in story telling and the presentation of news.
- Bill Schomberg @BillReuters – Chief Economics correspondent at Reuters. Bill has worked on some of the biggest stories in some of the world's biggest cities, covering financial, general and sports news from Brussels to Brasilia.
- Mukul Devichand – works on BBC trending looking at social media trending stories etc.
- Adrian Warner – exBBC TV, Evening Standard and Reuters on multi-platform reporting and sports news reporting James Jones BBC undercover reporter about getting into North Korea and working in Ukraine.