Search our site
Search our site

Creative Writing BA(Hons): Fees and funding

Please note: this fees and funding information is for 2016 entry. If you are looking for the fees information for 2017 entry, it will be available on Monday 16 May 2016.

2016/17 fees for this course

The tuition fee you pay depends on whether you are assessed as a 'Home' (UK or EU), 'Islands' or 'Overseas' student. In 2016/17 the fees for this course are:

 Fee category  Amount
Home (UK and EU students) £9,000
Overseas Year 1 (2016/17): £11,700 or £13,000*
Year 2 (2017/18): £12,000 or £13,400*
Year 3 (2018/19): £12,300 or £13,800*
Islands (Channel Islands and Isle of Man) To be confirmed by the Island Authorities

* The overseas fee rate charged will depend upon the course combination chosen.

Eligible UK and EU students can apply to the Government for a tuition loan, which is paid direct to the University. This has a low interest-rate which is charged from the time the first part of the loan is paid to the University until you have repaid it.

Need to know more?

Our fees and funding section provides information and advice on money matters.

Student finance for courses starting in 2016

When will I have to pay the fees?

Eligible students who are studying for their first undergraduate degree will not have to pay these fees up front. A loan is available from the Government to cover the cost of tuition so you don't have to find the money to pay your tuition costs before or while you are studying. You won't have to start repaying the loan until you are earning more than £21,000 a year.

The loan will also be available to European Union students and part-time students studying at least 25% (30 credits) per year. However, if you already hold an honours degree, or another qualification at the same level, you will not qualify for this loan.

What would I be eligible for to cover my living expenses?

There will be a loan for living costs to help with expenses such as accommodation, travel, books and course materials and food. There are three different rates of loan:

  • Up to £10,702 if you live away from home and study at a university in London, such as Kingston.
  • Up to £8,200 if you live away from home and study at a university outside London (this applies to Kingston University students studying at Marshalls Aerospace, Newcastle Aviation Academy KLM UK Engineering Norwich or any other course which is taught outside Greater London).
  • Up to £6,904 if you live with your parents while studying.

You can find more information about loans and how to apply at Student Finance England.

Are there any bursaries or fee waivers available?

Please check back regularly as we will post more information about our bursary schemes as soon as it is available.

When would I have to pay back my loans?

The earnings threshold at which student loans become repayable is £21,000 per year. You would become liable to start repaying the loans after the April after you complete your course. If you earn less than £21,000 you will not be liable to make any repayments.

Once you are required to make repayments, you will pay 9% of the earnings above £21,000 – so a graduate earning £25,000 per year will be liable to pay £360 over the year, or £30 a month. The rate of interest charged on the loans when they are being repaid will also increase as graduate earnings increase. A graduate earning less than the repayment threshold of £21,000 will be charged interest equivalent to the rate of inflation. Graduates with a higher income will be charged a higher rate of interest on a sliding scale, up to a maximum level of inflation plus 3%. Loans are repaid over a maximum period of 30 years.

I already hold an honours degree and want to do another one, can I get another student loan?

You will be liable to pay the same level of tuition fees but you will not qualify for loans for either fees or living costs or for a Kingston Bursary.

I am from Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Is my funding different?

All eligible students will be able to apply for a tuition fee loan but the package of student finance for living costs does differ if you are from another part of the UK. Please visit the relevant website for more information:

I am an EU student intending to study in England – what financial support is available to me?

EU students from outside the UK that meet certain eligibility criteria will be able to apply for the loan for tuition fees. Most EU students will not be entitled to support for their living costs. Contact the Student Finance England European Team for more information.

If you would like to view the fees for undergraduate courses from previous years, you can download the relevant fees document to find out more.

Ask a question about this course

Arts and Social Sciences Admissions Office
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 2378/2361
Email us


This course is taught at Penrhyn Road

View Penrhyn Road on our Google Maps

Ask a question about this course

Arts and Social Sciences Admissions Office
Tel: +44 (0)20 8417 2378/2361
Email us


This course is taught at Penrhyn Road

View Penrhyn Road on our Google Maps
Favourite this course

Find a course

Course finder

Kingston Writing School

As a student on this course you will be part of the Kingston Writing School, a vibrant community of outstanding writers, journalists and publishers.

Find out more...

Find us on Facebook

Undergraduate study
Site menu