I am an Associate Professor (Reader) in Psychology at the Department of Psychology, Kingston University. I joined Kingston University in 2012, and previously held a Senior Lecturer position at Middlesex University. I completed my PhD in psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN), University of London in 2008. Following my PhD, worked at the Child Psychiatry Branch, National Institutes of Health (Washington DC, USA) as a Lindemann Trust Fellow (English-Speaking Union), preceded by a Fulbright Distinguished Fellowship in 2010.
I am currently Course Director on the Foundations in Social Sciences programme, and module leader for a second-year module Mental Health and Brain Function.
My research focuses on understanding the pathophysiology of schizophrenia using clinical, cognitive and neuroimaging techniques. I am interested in (a) studying the pattern and magnitude of neurocognitive functioning in patients with early-onset schizophrenia (EOS; onset before age 18) and their first-degree relatives; (b) using neuroimaging techniques such as magnetoencephalography (MEG), diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), and positron emission tomography (PET) to study brain oscillations and structural/functional (whole brain differences in white matter integrity) abnormalities in first-episode and chronic schizophrenia; and (c) exploring the effectiveness of mindfulness on cognitive performance and psychological well-being in typical and atypical children.
Instagram: drnoravyas1, mentalhealth_connect
Honours and awards
2017: Finalist in the ‘Inspirational Role Model of the Year' category, European Diversity Awards
2017: Finalist in the ‘Women of the Future Awards – Science" category, Women of the Future Awards
2017: Winner of ‘Women of the Year' Award, 2nd British Asian Achievers Award
2017: Winner of ‘Team Excellence Award', Succeed Canvas project, Rose Awards.
2017: "Highly Commended" STEM Leader, Forward Ladies National Awards (London & South Regional Final)
2017: Marquis Who's Who Lifetime Award winner
2017: Young Investigator Award, 13th World Congress of Biological Psychiatry (Copenhagen, Denmark).
2016: Outstanding Women in Science, Technology & Mathematics (STEM), Precious Award.
2016: Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship, Winston Churchill Memorial Trust.
2016: Marquis Who's Who in the World (33rd edition)
2011: Lindemann Trust Fellowship, English-Speaking Union
2011: Fulbright Black History Month Travel Award, US-UK Fulbright Commission.
2010: Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Award, US-UK Fulbright Commission.
2010: Asian Achievers Award (AAA) Gold Award for Achievement in Healthcare.
2009: Young Scientist Award, Ninth World Congress of Biological Psychiatry (Paris, France).
2009: Travel Award, Neuroscience and Mental Health Interdisciplinary Research Group, Cardiff, to present at the European Congress on Psychiatry conference 2009 (Lisbon, Portugal).
2008: Young Researcher Award, Third International Conference on Schizophrenia (Chennai, India).
2008: Travel Award, American Genetics Association Annual Symposium (Raleigh, NC, USA).
2006: Bursary, Linkage and Association Genetics Summer School, King's College London, UK
Associate Professor of Psychology
2010-11: Examining brain connectivity, genes and neurocognition of childhood-onset schizophrenia and high risk siblings. Fulbright Distinguished Scholar Award, US-UK Fulbright Commission. Investigator: Vyas NS (PI). Awarded: $26,460.
2011-12: Brain connectivity in childhood-onset schizophrenia and their healthy siblings: A MEG study. Lindeman Trust Fellowship, English Speaking Union. Investigator: Vyas NS (PI). Awarded: $30,000.
2013-2015: Brain oscillatory patterns in childhood-onset schizophrenia. Research Capability Fund, Kingston University London. Awarded: £4,175
2015: Dopamine receptor imaging in bipolar disorder. Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Awarded: £7,258.
2016: Multimodal imaging and cognition in schizophrenia. Churchill Fellowship, Winston Churchill Memorial Trust. Investigator: Vyas NS (PI). Awarded: £7,750.
22. Vyas NS, Rubinstein D, Carver F, Greenstein D, Holroyd T, Miller R, Uhlhaas P, Rapoport JL, Gogtay N. Brain oscillations in patients with childhood-onset schizophrenia. Under Review.
21. Vyas NS, Buchsbaum MS, Lehrer DS, Merrill BM, DeCastro A, Doninger NA, Christian BT, Mukherjee J (2018). D2/D3 dopamine receptor binding with [F-18]fallypride correlates of executive function in medication-naïve patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 192, 442-456. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2017.05.017. (IF: 4.748)
20. Vyas NS, Wang Y, Vyas SS, Killackey E, Haugland T-A, Chan RCK (2017). Theory of mind in schizophrenia. Special Issue "Theory of mind in psychological disorders". Current Psychiatry Reviews, 13 (2), 102-110. doi: 10.2174/1573400513666170502125017
19. Vyas NS, Birchwood M, Singh SP (2015). Youth Services: Meeting the Mental Health Needs of Adolescents. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, 32, 13-19.
18. Vyas NS, Ahn K, Stahl DR, Caviston P, Simic M, Netherwood S, Puri BK, Lee Y, Aitchison KJ (2014). Association of KIBRA rs17070145 polymorphism with episodic memory in the early stages of a human neurodevelopmental disorder. Psychiatry Research, 220 (1-2), 37-43 (IF: 2.682)
17. Vyas NS, Patel NH, Herscovitch P, Puri BK, Lanzenberger R (2013). Recent Developments in Neurochemical Imaging in Schizophrenia: An Update. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 20 (3), 351-356 (IF: 3.853)
16. Weisinger B, Greenstein D, Mattai A, Clasen L, Lalonde F, Feldman S, Miller R, Tossell JW, Vyas NS, Stidd R, David C, Gogtay N (2013). Lack of Gender Influence on Cortical and Subcortical Gray Matter Development in Childhood-Onset Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 39 (1), 52-58. (IF: 8.8)
15. Vyas NS, Lee Y, Ahn K, Ternouth A, Stahl D, Al-Chalabi A, Powell JF, Puri BK (2012). Association of a Serotonin Receptor 2A Gene Polymorphism and Visual Sustained Attention in Early Onset Schizophrenia and their Non-Psychotic Siblings. Aging and Disease, 3(4), 291-300 (IF: 3.697).
14. Vyas NS, Puri BK (2012). Association of the Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Gene Polymorphism on general intellectual ability in early onset schizophrenia. Israel Journal of Psychiatry and Related Sciences, 49 (2), 137-142. (IF: 0.789)
13. Vyas NS, Gogtay N (2012). Treatment of Early Onset Schizophrenia: Recent Trends, Challenges and Future Considerations. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 3(29) 1-5 (IF: 3.532)
12. Vyas NS, Shamsi SA, Malhotra AK, Aitchison KJ, Kumari V (2012). Can Genetics Inform the Management of Cognitive Deficits in Schizophrenia? Journal of Psychopharmacology, 26, 334-348. (IF: 3.593)
11. Gogtay N*, Vyas NS *, Testa R, Wood SJ, Pantelis C* (2011). Age of Onset of Schizophrenia: Perspectives form Structural Neuroimaging Studies. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 37 (4), 503-514 (IF: 8.8)
10. Vyas NS, Patel NH, Puri BK (2011). Neurobiology and Phenotypic Expression in Early Onset Schizophrenia. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 5 (2), 3-14. (IF: 1.653)
9. Vyas NS, Patel NH, Nijran KS, Al-Nahhas A, Puri BK (2011). The Use of PET Imaging in Studying Cognition, Genetics and Pharmacotherapeutics Interventions in Schizophrenia. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 11 (1), 37-51. (IF: 2.955)
8. Kumar CTS, Christodoulou T, Vyas NS, Kyriakopoulous M, Corrigall R, Reichenberg A, Frangou S (2010). Deficits in Visual Sustained Attention Differentiate Genetic Liability and Disease Expression for Schizophrenia from Bipolar Disorder. Schizophrenia Research, 124 (1-3), 152-160. (IF: 5.083)
7. Vyas NS, Kumra S, Puri BK (2010). What Insights Can We Gain from Studying Early-Onset Schizophrenia? The Neurodevelopmental Pathway and Beyond. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 10 (8), 1243-1247. (IF: 2.955)
6. Vyas NS *, Patel NH*, Nijran KS, Al-Nahhas A, Puri BK (2010). Insights on Schizophrenia using Positron Emission Tomography Imaging: Building the Evidence and Refining the Focus. British Journal of Psychiatry, 197 (1), 3-4. (IF: 6.619)
5. Patel NH, Vyas NS, Puri BK, Nijran KS, Al-Nahhas A (2010). Positron Emission Tomography Imaging in Schizophrenia: A New Perspective. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 51 (4), 511-520. (IF: 7.022)
4. Vyas NS, Patel NH, Nijran KS, Al-Nahhas A, Puri BK (2010). Can PET/CT Imaging Advance Our Understanding of the Neurobiology of Schizophrenia? Nuclear Medicine Communications, 31 (2), 91-93. (IF: 1.404)
3. Kyriakopoulos M, Perez-Iglesias R, Woolley JB, Kanaan RAA, Vyas NS, Barker GJ, Frangou S, McGuire PK (2009). Age of Onset Modifies Location of White Matter Abnormalities in Schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry, 195 (4), 346-353. (IF: 6.619)
2. Kyriakopoulos M, Vyas NS, Chitnis X, Barker GJ, Frangou S (2008). Parietal White Matter Abnormalities in Early Onset Schizophrenia: A Voxel-Based Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study. Biological Psychiatry, 63 (5), 519-523. (IF: 9.247)
1. Vyas NS, Hadjulis M, Vourdas A, Byrne P, Frangou S (2007). The Maudsley Early Onset Schizophrenia Study. Predictors of Psychosocial Outcome at 4-year Follow-Up. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 16 (7), 465-470. (IF: 2.821)
Vyas, Nora S., Buchsbaum, Monte S., Lehrer, Douglas S., Merrill, Brian M., DeCastro, Alex, Doninger, Nicholas A., Christian, Bradley T. and Mukherjee, Jogeshwar (2018) D2/D3 dopamine receptor binding with [F-18]fallypride correlates of executive function in medication-naïve patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 192, pp. 442-456. ISSN (print) 0920-9964
Vyas, Nora S., Vyas, Shemin S., Killackey, Eoin, Haugland, Tor-Arne and Chan, Raymond C.K. (2017) Theory of mind in the early course of schizophrenia. Current Psychiatry Reviews, 13(2), pp. 102-110. ISSN (print) 1573-4005
Vyas, N.S., Birchwood, M. and Singh, S. P. (2015) Youth services: meeting the mental health needs of adolescents. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine, 32(1), pp. 13-19. ISSN (print) 0790-9667
Vyas, Nora S, Ahn, Kwangmi, Stahl, Daniel R, Caviston, Paul, Simic, Mima, Netherwood, Siobhan, Puri, Basant K, Lee, Yohan and Aitchison, Katherine J (2014) Association of KIBRA rs17070145 polymorphism with episodic memory in the early stages of a human neurodevelopmental disorder. Psychiatry Research, 220(1-2), pp. 37-43. ISSN (print) 0165-1781
Vyas, Nora, Patel, Neva, Herscovitch, Peter, Puri, Basant and Lanzenberger, Rupert (2013) Recent Developments in Neurochemical Imaging in Schizophrenia: An Update. Current Medicinal Chemistry, 20(3), pp. 351-356. ISSN (print) 0929-8673
Vyas, Nora S and Puri, Basant K (2012) Evidence for an association between brain-derived neurotrophic factor Val66Met gene polymorphism and general intellectual ability in early-onset schizophrenia. Israel journal of psychiatry and related sciences, 49(2), pp. 137-144. ISSN (print) 0333-7308
Vyas, Nora and Gogtay, Nitin (2012) Treatment of early onset schizophrenia: recent trends, challenges and future considerations. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 3, p. 29. ISSN (print) 1664-0640
Vyas, Nora, Shamsi, Syed A, Malhotra, Anil K, Aitchison, Katherine J and Kumari, Veena (2012) Can genetics inform the management of cognitive deficits in schizophrenia? Journal of Psychopharmacology, 26(3), pp. 334-48. ISSN (print) 0269-8811
Vyas, Nora S., Patel, Neva H. and Puri, Basant K. (2011) Neurobiology and phenotypic expression in early onset schizophrenia. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 5(1), pp. 3-14. ISSN (print) 1751-7885
Vyas, Nora S, Kumra, Sanjiv and Puri, Basant K (2010) What insights can we gain from studying early-onset schizophrenia? The neurodevelopmental pathway and beyond. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 10(8), pp. 1243-1247. ISSN (print) 1473-7175
Vyas, N.S., Patel, N. H., Nijran, K. S., Al-Nahhas, A. and Puri, B. K. (2010) Insights into schizophrenia using positron emission tomography: building the evidence and refining the focus. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 197(1), pp. 3-4. ISSN (print) 0007-1250
Patel, N. H., Vyas, N. S., Puri, B. K., Nijran, K. S. and Al-Nahhas, A. (2010) Positron emission tomography in schizophrenia: a new perspective. Journal of Nuclear Medicine, 51(4), pp. 511-520. ISSN (print) 0161-5505
Kyriakopoulos, Marinos, Perez-Iglesias, Rocio, Woolley, James, Kanaan, Richard, Vyas, Nora, Barker, Gareth, Frangou, Sophia and McGuire, Philip (2009) Effect of age at onset of schizophrenia on white matter abnormalities. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 195(4), pp. 346-353. ISSN (print) 0007-1250
Kyriakopoulos, Marinos, Vyas, Nora, Barker, Gareth, Chitnis, Xavier and Frangou, Sophia (2008) A diffusion tensor imaging study of white matter in early-onset schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry, 63(5), pp. 519-523. ISSN (print) 0006-3223
Price, Linda, Downward, Stuart, Lawrence, David, Avery, Barry, Preston, Anne, Dias Fonseca, Tania, Vyas, Nora, Lock, Nick, Alsop, Graham, Orwell, Suzan, Beardsmore, James and Casanova, Diogo (2017) Putting technology in the frame : multiple lenses on evidenced based practice in a university wide roll out. In: HEA Annual Conference 2017 - Generation TEF : Teaching in the spotlight; 04 - 06 Jul 2017, Manchester, U.K.. (Unpublished)
Vyas, Nora, Lehrer, Douglas, Merrill, Brian, DeCastro, Alex, Doninger, Nicholas, Christian, Bradley, Mukherjee, Jogeshwar and Buchsbaum, Monte (2017) D2/D3 dopamine receptor binding with [F-18] fallypride correlates of executive function in medication-naive patients with schizophrenia. In: Society of Biological Psychiatry 72nd Annual Meeting; 18-20 May 2017, San Diego, U.S.A..